.270 Win, RL-19, 130 Grain Bullets

SansSouci

I have all three. I've always gone the mule deer standard route: 130 grain bullets & 60 grains of H-4831. However, I have a few pounds of RL-19. I've read that 59 grains of RL-19 and 130 grain Ballistic Tips will print very tiny groups. I don't know because I ain't yet tried this combo. Does anyone have experience shooting 130 grains bullets out of a .270 Win using RL-19? If so, would you recommend going with RL-19?

I have,and it works well enough.I believe it burns roughly like 4350.I believe it is definitely they worth trying. Good luck

Good Morning, Antonio,

Thanks for your helpful info. It's much appreciated.

A source has indicated that 59 grains of RL-19 and a 130 grain bullet will make tiny groups. I thought it an over-max load. However, this source 277_1_130 indicates that 60 grains of RL-19 with 130 grains is max load. It also indicates it's the most accurate 130 grain .270 Win load.

This source Real Guns - Handload Data - .270 Winchester indicates 59 grains of RL-19 is max in a .270 Win.

I'll probably start at 55 grains and work up to the point of best accuracy. I'm guessing that velocity will be about identical to H-4831. Within reason, I'm looking more for accuracy than velocity.

BTW, I've read that RL-19 is identical to Norma 204. I believe that they're manufactured by the same Swedish powder manufacturer.

Would you mind sharing your RL-19 load that has worked for you?

Thanks so much.
http://stevespages.com/277_1_130.html

SansSouci..good morning to.I don't have the data on this phone but It was out of Barnes #4 manual. I did get their published velocities too..3200 fps or so in 70 *f. The Barnes 129gr lrx is speedy to and accurate.I like the Alliant product and about to try some reloder 26.I know of some folks that are getting 3050 fps with 150's out of a 22"tube.I will dig up info and send it to you later.Enjoy the day

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.