.264 WM 130 grain bullets

Powder technology has improved. Reloader 26 will add over a hundred feet per second to any of the older H4831, H1000, Retumbo, Reloader 25 applications and is more accurate. It is a Nitrochem powder from Switzerland. We are all anxiously awaiting VV N-565 which was announced over a year ago but has not been imported. Reloader 33, also a Nitrochem powder, is great for the heavier bullets, 140-160 grain. VV N-570 is great for the heavy bullets but it is behind Reloader 33 in performance.

Get that barrel nitrocarburized so you can actually get some enjoyment shooting the barrel and load development before you erode the throat. Shoot HBN coated bullets to reduce the wear and the first shot will be part of the group.

I don't have a 264 Winchester but, if I did, my starting point with a 130 gr bullet would be with H-1000. I have a counterfeit 264 Win Mag with a 7" twist in progress and my plan is to try a heavier bullet and IMR-8133.

You said you had a reamer made with .199" freebore. I have to ask, did you choose that number because that is what a 6.5 Creedmoor has?

I wasn't really sure on the freebore. I didn't want to throat it for a specific bullet since I wasn't sure exactly what I was going to use. I have loaded the Creed with a pretty wide variety and hadn't had many issues with the throating so I though why not? I dummied up 4 different bullets in the .264 with the .199 and the jump they usually prefer and they all looked decent.

Do you think the .199 is a bad choice? What would you do?

My WM recipe for 140gr Berger VLD with IMR 7828 and Retumbo:
26" Kreiger barrel with 1:9 twist
Norma brass
Primer: Fed 215m
Powder: IMR 7828 @ 60.8gr Retumbo @ 67.9
COAL: 3.34
Neck: .292 (4 thou per side)
Have to keep the barrel cool otherwise things start to open up.

I wasn't really sure on the freebore. I didn't want to throat it for a specific bullet since I wasn't sure exactly what I was going to use. I have loaded the Creed with a pretty wide variety and hadn't had many issues with the throating so I though why not? I dummied up 4 different bullets in the .264 with the .199 and the jump they usually prefer and they all looked decent.

Do you think the .199 is a bad choice? What would you do?

I think .199" is a good choice. My Wildcat has a .200" freebore.

Chiming in as my rifle is 9 twist which is what the off the shelf 264wm usually has.

My accuracy load for my 6.5-06AI is with 130 Berger and H1000. Around 2950fps with significant jump to lands. As such, the disclaimer for anyone mimicking the load is to start low and work up. Same with the 140's but due to twist, the 130's won out as my go to load.

With 120 Swift's I got best results with H4350. With 125 nosler I found Hybrid 100v best.

2E4479A2-61DE-46BB-9877-ACE74344C020.jpeg
Good to know on Retumbo. With 130's the data shows it pretty anemic but it seems real world it performs well with both 130's and 140's.

Anybody using 7828? H-1000? I have quite a bit of both.
I use 7828 with the 130 Accubonds in my Model 70 Supergrade Winnie. Sub-MOA results and these Accubonds perform very well on whitetails. I read an article on the burn rates for this caliber in the 264 (Factory Twist) and it worked very well for me. I have Retumbo as well but I hit the accuracy node with 7828 early on so I stuck with it. My load almost mirrors the Nosler Factory Ammo, maybe a bit faster but the accuracy was exceptional. My shots are held to within 250 yds with most in the 125 - 175 range so no issues with holdover, I wanted MPBR performance with a Duplex Reticle. Just a classic setup. Factory twist prevents using VLD bullets. YMMV

Good info guys appreciate it. I have a pretty much every powder mentioned so I should be able to find something that works.

The reason that the data with Retumbo seems anemic is they usually use 24" barrels to do data work up. The 264 Win mag needs at least 26" of barrel to do it's thing. Also chamber and throat dimensions make big difference in loads. My rifle has a tight chamber, very little case sizing is needed. I load 66.5 grs Retumbo with the 130 Accubond, CCI 250, WW case made from 7mm Rem mag cases, COAL 3.450. This is a max load in my rifle and I average 3350 fps with sub MOA accuracy with the 27 3/4" 9 twist Shilen barrel.

Everyone knows I love me some 264 win. I haven't made it around to trying any of the Hammer line of bullets yet in any of my 264 win rigs. I would like to try that 131g. I'll be watching to see what others suggest, maybe PM Steve (RockyMtnMt) here and ask what they recommend.
I have played around a bit with the 130 Berger AR hybrid. I worked from a 26" 264 with a SAAMI spec chamber and 9 twist barrel. I worked with H4831sc, and H1000. I tried Retumbo and Norma 217 and they didn't perform as well in terms of SD or velocity with the lighter bullet and left a substantial amount of fouling. I suspect I wasn't seeing a complete burn as I've used both of those powders with 140-160g 6.5 bullets and only encountered that level of fouling intermittently with minimum charges.

View attachment 130774
I use 7828 with the 130 Accubonds in my Model 70 Supergrade Winnie. Sub-MOA results and these Accubonds perform very well on whitetails. I read an article on the burn rates for this caliber in the 264 (Factory Twist) and it worked very well for me. I have Retumbo as well but I hit the accuracy node with 7828 early on so I stuck with it. My load almost mirrors the Nosler Factory Ammo, maybe a bit faster but the accuracy was exceptional. My shots are held to within 250 yds with most in the 125 - 175 range so no issues with holdover, I wanted MPBR performance with a Duplex Reticle. Just a classic setup. Factory twist prevents using VLD bullets. YMMV
Yea. 2 yr old thread. But I can't help it. Sweet rifle! I have a new Super Grade that doesn't have a scope on it yet. Rifle and scope are still safe buddies. Also have 4 boxes 130 Accubonds, 100 Sierra 130 TGK, 2 lb Retumbo and 9 lb RL23 to work with.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.