264 win mag vs. 7mm rem mag

264 win mag or 7mm mag

• Total voters
I voted 7mag...I have two 7mmRM and just sold a 7mmRUM....before I read 4 or 5 pages of dick measuring...wow!

Anyway...just finished building a 264wm. I have yet to fire the thing. Just got ammo ready...only need to get some range time.

I'm going to go out on a limb here; I believe that within a given parent case (or case volume (7 STW vs 28 Nosler)) one can achieve similar velocities with bullets of similar bullet SD's. In other word you can drive a 160gr 7mm bullet with a 7mm RM the same velocity as a 140 gr bullet and the 264 WM if all else is equal. If there is any advantage it will go to the bullet with the greater diameter (that psi thing).

I also believe that bullets of equal SD can be made with nearly equal BC's regardless of caliber. It is often stated that 25 & 270 caliber bullets have low BC's....they also have lower SD's. There isn't a magical caliber out there.

If my two assumptions are true then the there won't be any difference in long range drop or wind drift. Neither will penetrate more or less with the same bullet construction. Obviously the larger calibers will have a larger wound channel and will kick slightly harder.

I can only vote for one or the other if I know the exact parameters of what I'm hunting. Deer and smaller: 264 WM. Upto and including elk: 7 RM.

I forgot about this thread...

I really like the way my 264wm shoots. The recoil is tamer than the 7mag, that's for sure.

My wife dumped her first buck with this build. 307yds...bang flop to boot!

Sweet shoot rifle...

I just read the whole thread for the first time....There is a lot I'd like to forget about it also!

I have two of Lex Werbernicks Rifle Inc Stratas. A 270 win and a 300 Weatherby. I bought them both used and I like them so much I want to have him build me one.....I am an old fogy and am trying to decide between the 264 WM and a 7mm RM. I routinely shoot a 6.5x55 and a 7mm STW. I have a 6.5-06 coming soon. I don't need a new gun! The 7mmRM was what I cut my teeth on and might be my best choice.

Well the vote right now is 12 to 12. Must be the reason I bought one in each caliber. Just could not make up my mind. :)
Ha,,that's what I done. but then again I have almost all Calibers. I use 264 or 2506 for dear and 7mm or 300 for elk.if I hunt in the wilderness,i use a 338.and for large varments,22-250 or a 243.. i like them all.😁

Love em Both, but I'd have to go with the 7 Rem Mag. Litle Bigger bullet, and a lot better barrel Life and ammo is available.

My dad had been shooting his pre-64 M70 264wm for probably 40 years and he bought it used. He's big Into the nostalgia of It do he refuses to have it re-barreled. Lol

id Love to run a bore scope down that barrel just to see what it looks like 😂

Last edited:
I'm partial to the 264WM if nothing else because I was heavily invested in all things 7.5mm before all of the heavy high BC 7mm stuff came about.

I don't necessarily buy into that the 7 is so much less of a barrel burner than the 264. I just don't se 1/2mm of diameter making that much of a difference.

The 264 a barrel burner? Wouldn't that also apply to the 7rm? I suppose if you're shooting round after round, and not letting the barrel cool...but in a hunting rifle, how often does this really happen? I for one do not abuse my rifles like this.

The 264 a barrel burner? Wouldn't that also apply to the 7rm? I suppose if you're shooting round after round, and not letting the barrel cool...but in a hunting rifle, how often does this really happen? I for one do not abuse my rifles like this.

Using rifles and abusing rifles are different. It's doesn't take more than 2-3 magnum rounds through a sporter contour barrel to heat it up.

Everybody entitied to their opinion. It's not an argument. 6.5's and 7mm's are my go to's but yeah, 264WM is a sub 1k barrel llife on a good day. I mean what's a 264 WM running a 120-140gn bullet at? 3200-3400 FPS? I'd put the barrel Life of that closer to the 28Nosler than Ii would a 7R Mag . 7mm's are closer to 1500-ish, but regardless, barrels are like expendables and meant to be swapped out, just like tires. I still prefer the heavier 284's over the .264's tho. I'd run the 7mm's in a LA, and run my 6.5 in a short action.

Last edited: