7MM-Rem-Mag-vs-7MM-WSM

wildcat

Hey-guys;-some-are-saying-the-7mm-WSM-out-does-the-7mm-Rem-Mag;-and-others-are-saying-the-7mm-Rem-Mag-will-out-do-the-7mm-WSM.-The-reserch-I've-done-shows-the-7mm-Rem-Mag-shoots-all-bullets-a-little-faster.-Which-is-the-truth?-To-me;-it-looks-like-they-are-very-very-similar-when-it-comes-to-velocity.-I've-heard-the-WSM's-may-give-some-pressure-problems?-Anyway;-I-am-trying-to-decide-which-one-I-will-use-for-my-new-project.-I-will-be-using-a-30"-Lawton-1-10-twist-barrel.-Any-suggestions-would-be-great.-I-will-be-using-the-120-to-140-grn-Nosler-Ballistic-Tip-bullets-for-the-most-part.-They-have-a-really-good-BC-for-poly-tiped-bullets.-The-140grn-BT-has-a-.485-BC-and-the-150-grn-BT-has-a-.493-BC.

A decently hand loaded 270 Win will out do R-P and Norma 7MM Mag rounds. In the same is true for the WSM. However, if the WSMs are loaded properly they will more than do the job but ya gotta put some powder in 'em. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif And they don't have a belt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Also, sounds like you're gonna land on your feet. That's good. bb did. I did. Now you will, join the club. But hey, sooner or later you just gotta get rid of that J.O.B. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I-will-be-using-the-120-to-140-grn-Nosler-Ballistic-Tip-bullets-for-the-most-part.-They-have-a-really-good-BC-for-poly-tiped-bullets.-The-140grn-BT-has-a-.485-BC-and-the-150-grn-BT-has-a-.493-BC.

[/ QUOTE ]

...but the 162 gr Amax has a bc of .625 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

[ QUOTE ]

...but the 162 gr Amax has a bc of .625 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1, I'm getting 3000fps out of a 24" barrel with no signs of pressure in my 7RM. 1/2MOA accuracy.

Don

Had both go with the 7 wsm. A 7mm Rem mag at high pressures with swell above the belt. the wsm is already a improved case with a 35 degree shoulder. Its kind of like comparing a 6br to a 243. They with both do the job but the short fat steeper shoulder improved cartidges are hard not to love. The wsm is a great case design its hard to find fault with.

Maybe-before-you-buy-a-new-rifle-you-should-invest-in-a-keyboard-with-a-spacebar!!!

The 7mm Rem. is a better round as far as I'm concerned. I've never experienced any problems with the belted case and the additional case capacity will come in mighty handy when your trying to scoot those long A-Maxes out there around 3000fps. You also get added mag. capacity and you'll never run into any magazine length issues. My buddy is looking forward to the new .270 cal. Bergers for his .270WSM, but he won't be able to get them anywhere near the lands due to magazine constraints... I would assume the same is true for the 7mm.

I-am-thinking-about-the-7mm-RUM.-It-will-lunch-the-162GRN-A-Max-or-168grn-Matchking-(out-of-a-30"-barrel)-at-around-3500-fps.-The-Lawton-action-I-ordered-is-a-long-action-with-a-magnum-bolt-face;-so-I-can-go-with-any-type-of-7mm.

Jake.....
My 7mm STW is launching the 168's at 3340 out of a 28" barrel. I am not at max pressure yet, but have to be close. Might give that a try also. Nothing wrong with the 7 mag of 7 RUM though either. My 7mm WSM's I have are hard pressed to get to 3000 fps with a 168 gr. berger in a 24-26 barrels. I know some people have great luck with them and get more velocity, but I don't seem to get it....even with their loads.

I-am-looking-more-at-the-7mm-RUM.-I-went-with-a-1-10-twist-barrel;-however;-I-am-thinking-about-changing-it-to-a-1-9.5-twist;-but-I've-been-told-the-1-10-will-stablize-all-7mm-bullets.-What-do-you-guys-think?

Have you checked the case capacity between the two cases in question?I like the no belt of the wssm but I like the the 7mm rem also.The problem with the wssm is factory rifles are built on short actions which limit overall length of the round.To get 7mag performance out of a wssm the thing needs to be built on a long action so as to be able to seat the bullet out and get the needed powder room.As for performance my #1 Ruger 26" will produce 3100fps with 160gr sierra game kings.A classic load for same is 79.5gr of H870 & a fed 215 primer.

Well I am by no means an expert, but what are you talking about - 270 will out do a 7mag?? Maybe I'm not understanding you. I have a 270win and it will shoot 130gr at 3000fps all day, but it will not out do a 7mag period. As for all you that don't like the belts, why?? I have a few and my favorite 300win mag has brass fired up to 10 times before it's (brass) junk. I like the WSM's but I think if you already have the belt, just love it for what it is. If you have a RUM, then just love it for what it is. If you.... well you get the idea.

Thanks for listening to the ranting of an old belted shooter.

Doug

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.