264 win mag?

winmag76

Hey guys if you was going to build a 264 win mag what would you do? I would like to here from some guys that shoot this round and some guys that have had customs built. I like Remington actions but I would like to here what you would do or do different. barrel length, and maker action, stock, and smith you might use. I shoot a couple different 300 win mags one is a Sendero and the other is a bdl ss with a factory muzzle brake. I love them both but want something that hits hard with less recoil without a brake and has to be very accurate. thanks in advance

i love my 264 sendero. Shoots 1/4 to 1/2" with the 140 amaxs. Little felt recoil and is an absolute lazer. Been trying to get 140 JLK's to shoot but havnt had any luck yet, seems my twist just isnt fast enough for them. Shoots the best so far with 140 amax's at about 3230 FPS.

An old classic that delivers the goods. I shot one for 10 years with great results.

If I built one I would go with a Predator or Pierce action and any of the premium barrels , I like Broughton 5-C's have had good results with them

If I used a Rem action I would throw a PTG bolt in it (semi tight fit) takes care of slop and comes with an extractor.

Mine shot everything from 120NBTS to 140 partitions with good to great results

|With all the cartridges out there today a few of the older ones still get me exciteded 264 win 257 Rob

Having had a couple 264 WM over the last few years, As much as I like the round, I'd never build another one.
I have found them to be a love hate relationship. They can be very hard to find a good load for. Once you find it though they are a very accurate round.

For me I have not found a powder that works as well as H870 in the 264 WM. Being that powder is discontinued is a big problem. I shoot a 264 WM to shoot a 140gr. There are many 264 WM shooters that like the 120gr & 130gr rounds which is fine, but just not what I built the rifle for. I'd shoot a 257 WBY if I wanted to shoot 120gr bullets.

Just my opinion, but if I was to build another custom it would be a 7mm Rem Mag hands down. They are easy to get to shoot, you can push a 140gr faster than a 264 WM & a 160gr will almost = what a 140gr will do in a 264 WM. My 264 WM was best right around 3200 FPS with a 140gr. I have 2 7mm Rem Mags that are in spitting distance of 3200 FPS with a 160gr & have no more felt recoil then the 264 WM IMO. I also find the pressure to be not so spiky in a 7mm vs the 264 WM.

Don't get me wrong, the 264 WM is a cool round, but without the right powder & 26"'s it won't live up to it's potential.

264 Win Mag… one of the all time great and underrated cartridges of firearms history. If I was going to try a build one today, I think I'd look for pre 64 in 90% to 98% plus in shape, spin off the barrel and have a custom barrel maker whip me out a new matching barrel in 27" inch'…, rather then 26" barrel'…, with all the same contours as the original in .264 WM chambering with a slightly faster twist instead of the standard twist for the 6.5 cal. rifles
I've always liked the look and feel of the pre 64 Win "Westerner" with the 26" barrels. The old action speaks for itself. These {retro} barrel jobs done by a competent gunsmith can be very impressive and shoot like a LR match rifle in a hunting packaged size rifle.
Early in the game I picked the .257 Wby Mag over the .264 WM… Mainly do to "rifle style" and cartridge glamour in those day's. The .264 WM was getting a pretty bad rap as a barrel burner, and wasn't able to be reloaded to factory velocity {there was an explainable reason for that which came out later}…. I had a sweet spot for the Mark V. look and the fact that they {Winchester} had dropped the pre 64; is when I made my decision between the cartridges based on the performance of the Weatherby rifle style and cartridge as a combo. But the thought of picking up a pre .264 WM remained in my mind over the years... Who know I still might.
Just my .02

I would recommend another Sendero. Mine shoots great. Try RE 25 (start at 65.0 grains and work up) and 130 Accubonds or Bergers. Not enough twist for 140 or 142SMK in my opinion and experience. I have one and another on the way. Will replace barrel on first one with 8.5 twist Krieger. I have shots rocks out to 750 yards easily.

If I wanted that level of velocity/horsepower I would do a 6.5 WSM or RAUM.

I would agree there are many options an concepts, such a the great little 6.5 Rem Mag another cartridge ahead of it's time and a real sleeper on the in the LR game; or a wild cat like the 6.5 RSAUM which I've seen many times rip up 1k range, either would be a super 6.5 With the exception of the 6.5 Rem Mag which I've owned in a M700 when they first came out, there's an nostalgia thing for me. It's hard to fine any bad 6.5's but the .264 Win Mag sure stands out as the gold standard for most all the 6.5's.

I agree.

But I like the non belted brass.

I assume a better selection of brass as well.

But to be honest, I am waffling over the choice between the 6.5 wsm and .264 wm as well for a future build.

I am currently waiting on my 6.5-06 built on Sendero action and stock to get finished at the smith. It was supposed to be done tomorrow but i guess I will have to learn patience:) 2 more weeks.

I agree.

But I like the non belted brass.

I assume a better selection of brass as well.

But to be honest, I am waffling over the choice between the 6.5 wsm and .264 wm as well for a future build.

I am currently waiting on my 6.5-06 built on Sendero action and stock to get finished at the smith. It was supposed to be done tomorrow but i guess I will have to learn patience:) 2 more weeks.

6.5-06 a sweet heart of a cartridge in any rifle.
Good luck

I really don't care for the Remington action, and avoid anything that is poorly designed and inherently dangerous! How about that class action lawsuit that Remington lost! It was known from the beginning that it had problems, and instead of admitting it and correcting it, they denied it and continued to manufacture the same action. Love big business!!

The reality is that the 700 action and clones, is the most popular action around. There are more parts and custom stocks, ect available for the 700 than anything else by far! I highly recommend the Sako, Savage, or any 700 clone action. Just check out 6mm benchrest, they have a list of highly recommended custom actions. I largely use the Weatherby action, preferring the short bolt throw and safe, safe, beefy action!

If you guys are concerned about the short neck length, why not just lengthen it like I did?? I have a 264 Win with a .295 neck. The longer neck helps with seating, especially with longer VLD bullets! I shoot 140 grain bullets 3300 fps! Currently, I have over 2000 rounds thru the barrel and it is showing a little erosion. The last time I reloaded, I seated the bullet out .1 futher, and my groups have always been under 1/2. Instead of arguing back and forth about the short neck and the possible negative factors associated with it, just resize some 7mm Rem brass, use the longer neck and negate the possible negatives. On the plus side, it makes seating a whole lot easier!!

While I wish that Wby had a 6.5, I don't know why the .264 Win isn't more popular, other than it had the wrong barrel length and twist when it came out. With the slower burning powders, improved barrels, and better bullets of today there is more reasons to shoot the .264 Win.

My .264 Win is my favorite to shoot, and it has never let me down!!

Kill more wolves!!

I really don't care for the Remington action, and avoid anything that is poorly designed and inherently dangerous! How about that class action lawsuit that Remington lost! It was known from the beginning that it had problems, and instead of admitting it and correcting it, they denied it and continued to manufacture the same action. Love big business!!

The reality is that the 700 action and clones, is the most popular action around. There are more parts and custom stocks, ect available for the 700 than anything else by far! I highly recommend the Sako, Savage, or any 700 clone action. Just check out 6mm benchrest, they have a list of highly recommended custom actions. I largely use the Weatherby action, preferring the short bolt throw and safe, safe, beefy action!

If you guys are concerned about the short neck length, why not just lengthen it like I did?? I have a 264 Win with a .295 neck. The longer neck helps with seating, especially with longer VLD bullets! I shoot 140 grain bullets 3300 fps! Currently, I have over 2000 rounds thru the barrel and it is showing a little erosion. The last time I reloaded, I seated the bullet out .1 futher, and my groups have always been under 1/2. Instead of arguing back and forth about the short neck and the possible negative factors associated with it, just resize some 7mm Rem brass, use the longer neck and negate the possible negatives. On the plus side, it makes seating a whole lot easier!!

While I wish that Wby had a 6.5, I don't know why the .264 Win isn't more popular, other than it had the wrong barrel length and twist when it came out. With the slower burning powders, improved barrels, and better bullets of today there is more reasons to shoot the .264 Win.

My .264 Win is my favorite to shoot, and it has never let me down!!

Kill more wolves!!

I'd agree the .264 Win Mag has been given a bad rap over the years.. perhaps it's do to the so called "short barrel life" but for the hunter(s) today,... I think that's a moot point. As for technology and the .264 Win Mag, it real has helped over the years with new products.

I for one would have loved to have seen Weatherby bring out a .264 cal based on their 257/270 case in their Mark V (26') barreled rifles. I know it was a tough sell back when.. but today'.., well I'm still hoping.

Remington; I'm a big fan'.., have been for many years.. I've bought and sold a metric ton of them over the years.. never had a problem, and I've used the hell out of them on and off the job.
Here's something interesting.
Something try's to over ride the thread from Remington causing a problem if you can't click it on... it seems someone does want folks to see or hear Remington side of the store... thank you CNBC

Just type the https:// yourself and add [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVDDB4Mcsxc[/ame] and see if that works, or go to Remington's Response to CNBC on the Remington web page Firearms - Shotguns - Rifles - Handguns - Ammunition - Remington Guns - Home of America's Oldest Gunmaker

All in all not hard to understand why you like the .264 Win Mag

Cheer's

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.