264 win mag H1000 140 ELDM load data wanted

Thanks guys.. keep em coming! I use H1000 in several rifles used for long range work and have grown to love it for its temp stability and ease of use. A big plus is that it is just about always available locally and I already have a bunch designated for this rifle. What caused me to post this question is that I have been paying attention to people posting loads/ velocities over the last few years and have been impressed, and now that I am getting ready to begin I found the mfg's data available seemed really low!
Just go up slow and watch for pressure please

Mine is , 67 grn. H-1000 143 ELD-X , @ 3110 , 25" Hart barrel with 1-8" twist.
I decided on 67grn. with ladder test, no pressure signs, good accuracy. Have only shot 55 rounds with furthest out to 450 yrds. but getting easy MOA.

My 34yr old 264 Win Mag Model 70 sporter hit 3,000fps @64gr with the 143eldx, H1000, and Nosler Brass. I saw pressure signs (cratered primers) @64.8 3,033. I rolled back to 64.4 3017fps and .010 off the lands. 66.2 gr of Mag Pro matched my H1000 results when I couldn't find H1000.

I loaded for a friends that was in a PRE 64 with no freebore. 64 grains was it. same speeds as Pdyson mentioned.

Still waiting for a good weather day to begin the process. Still interested in any data anyone is willing to share.

Have you measured out your cartridge/bullet combinations? w/ a comparator? Mine has 0.165 free bore in 8 twist. It's broke in now and pushes the 156EOL to 3095-8(3.477 OAL) from 26" Bartlien at the node. 143ELDX at 3060(3.340 OAL) on the node. I'm using Retumbo on the 143 and N570 on the 156. Both sub 1/2 MOA @ 0.025 off the lands. Love my 264!

Rhett

This one was chambered by Hart barrels. I sent in a dummy round with a 140 ELDM seated to 3.450 tip to tip. This put the boat tail/ bearing surface junction approx 20 thou below the neck/ shoulder junction of the case. My plan is to take 6 cases, load them with a known mid load and shoot one clean, one to break the barrel in. Then I'll take one of the fired cases, bump the shoulder back a thou and make a case guage. At this point I'll use the comparator to document the exact measurement to the lands. I'll load up the remaining 5 once fired cases at 5 thou off and do a pressure test while shooting with a magneto strapped on. I'll start low enough I may have to load a few of them up again until I reach max pressure. Then, depending on the velocity I record, I'll either back off one grain from pressure signs and do a seating depth test, or keep it at 5 thou off, back off a couple grains and do a powder charge test.

I have been shooting & loading the 264 since 1964. You need the slowest powders. I find H-1000 to fast a burning for the 264 except for the 100gr bullet. When it comes to 140gr class bullets Powders like H-US869, VV 24N41, Rel 33, Retumbo are the powders you want. I use VV 24N41 for 3222 fps in my 26" Bbl 264's. Not the slightest sign of excessive pressure. If you want specific info you can PM me.

Last edited:
I appreciate that Hespco. If I get to the point where I cant find something with H1000 then I will reach out for sure. I recently got rid of 15 pounds of US869 and a bunch of n570 we were using in a 26 nosler (Disaster!) I doubt the powder had anything to do with it but when I rebarreled to a 264 I was determined to use the tried and true (for me) H1000.

I have been shooting & loading the 264 since 1964. You need the slowest powders. I find H-1000 to fast a burning form the 264 except for the 100gr bullet. When it comes to 140gr class bullets Powders like H-US869, VV 24N41, Rel 33, Retumbo are the powders you want. I use VV 24N41 for 3222 fps in my 26" Bbl 264's. Not the slightest sign of excessive pressure. If you want specific info you can PM me.
^THIS^
Also, consider consulting a few reloading manuals closely before going any further with your development. What you are reporting doesn't line up, even closely, with any of the data I've compiled over the last 20 plus years. I've shot about every iteration of a 264win chamber I could dream up and have put together since 1995.

The data with the slower powders Hespco mentions can take some work to find. However, it is out there in bits and pieces and worth the investigation. 264 WIN greatly benefits with slower powders than most manufacturers publish data for it with, especially with longer barrels. It isn't a 26Nosler. Here are a couple of powders I've had success with over the years in several different 264win barrels and some ideas on how to utilize them best.
Retumbo is a good place to start with 140g bullets. Good case fill ratio. Start at 63g and if you haven't found what you are looking for by 68g forget it and move on, you will run into pressure some place around 71-72g with most 140g bullets in a SAAMI chamber but accuracy usually fades quickly above 68g. The down side of Retumbo, it can get spiky in cold weather with heavy charges, especially with faster twist barrels. There are several threads covering that so I won't waste time retracing that ground.

Norma 217 is another good choice. A step slower than Retumbo and slightly more bulky so it fills the case more completely. I usually start at 63-64g and work from there. The last four barrels I ran into pressure around 73-74g with 140g Berger hybrids and 143 ELDX and best SD usually happens at 66-68g. Burns noticeably cleaner toward the top portion of the safe curve.

PM me if you desire any further assistance, I don't share specific load data on the public forum.

Thanks for the replies guys. I deleted some data that I previously posted and I wanted to explain why. As mentioned by others, I too do not typically post specific data, especially if it is over book max. I do enjoy reading what others have done and it's too bad things cannot be shared more freely, but I do understand that not everyone may use the information in a safe manner. I have seen many times when a chamber is cut with a longer throat and the bullet is seated out further it often takes more powder to get to the same velocity as it does with a standard saami chamber and COL. With that being said, I have safely determined my max charge with my barrel/chamber/ powder lot etc. and I will use this information to find a node with decent velocity, good ES and accuracy. Thanks again for all the replies.

I will try an get ya some H1000 data on my load tomorrow.. I am shooting 143 eldx in a 8 twist Ruger Hawkeye 5/8 5 shot group at 100 3050 FPS