Barnes TTSX and H1000 .300 win mag load data

Mooseman22

Hey all this is my first post here after many years of reading I finally decided to jump in and be active. I'm very new to reloading and currently worked one load out for my .300 win mag using Barnes TTSX 180 grain bullets, Remington cases, Remongton 9 1/2m primers and IMR 4831 however I'm not exactly pleased with the group it's provided me.

I've recently purchased some H1000 and am looking to work a load out with it hoping to meet my expectations and was wondering if anyone has any experience with Barnes TTSX 180's and H1000 ? I can't seem to find any load data with that exact combination and was hoping someone had something that works well in their .300 win mag with these bullets and powder ? Any help would be greatly apprecated.

Further info if it matters my barrel is 24" with a 1/10 twist

Regards
Adam

Hey all this is my first post here after many years of reading I finally decided to jump in and be active. I'm very new to reloading and currently worked one load out for my .300 win mag using Barnes TTSX 180 grain bullets, Remington cases, Remongton 9 1/2m primers and IMR 4831 however I'm not exactly pleased with the group it's provided me.

I've recently purchased some H1000 and am looking to work a load out with it hoping to meet my expectations and was wondering if anyone has any experience with Barnes TTSX 180's and H1000 ? I can't seem to find any load data with that exact combination and was hoping someone had something that works well in their .300 win mag with these bullets and powder ? Any help would be greatly apprecated.

Regards
Adam
Under normal circumstance, I would say H1000 is a little slow for a TTSX 180.

I load the 180 in my 300Wby over IMR 7828.

That said, it's not impossible. It will be very slow.

You will have a much easier time with Reloader-26 under the TTSX 180

Thanks for the replies guys really appreciate your thoughts. I got the data from Barnes finally and I understand it will shoot a little slower. I don't mind sacrificing a little speed for accuracy, all I'm doing right now is looking for the bullet and powder combination my gun likes best ( tightest group)

morning, try some 4831SC. I use this powder. very good grouping and dead pigs!!!:)lightbulbgun)

I am very in favor of barnes bullets. try some Barnes LRX

Go in the opposite direction, the old standby and possibly the greatest powder ever, it's not always the highest velocity but it's usually everything else .... H-4350 ....

Regards
Adam

Adam,

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Regardless of powder, and bullet combination, you need to find the sweat spot; seating depth (best compromise for COAL and CBTO) and powder charges, etc ...

You said your new in reloading, have you played with the seating depth? The more info you can provide, the easier for most of us to provide you with advice(s). As you'll soon find out "consistency" in you reloading process is a must in reloading.

Good luck!

Ed

Thanks for all the suggestions, defiantly going to keep these in mind when testing to find exactly what my gun loves, my first load was with IMR 4831 six different test loads of various charges ( min to max ) the best groupings I found was about 2 1/2 inches at 200 yards which I'm trying to tighten up. Seating depth I haven't worked with yet. I believe the depth in my first test was about 50 thousandths off the lands which Barnes recommended for that specific bullet. I found in my first test the less powder in each load the tighter the group got and didn't seem to have any fliers. Kinda gives me on first impression maybe my gun just likes a little slower bullets ?

I'm not completly dissatisfied with a 2 1/2 inch group at 200 yards I thought it wasn't terrible really for a first time reloader bu defiantly want to tinker around much more with different powders and seating depths to tighten that up.

Take your best powder charge then start adjusting the seating depth. I might go with 15 or 20 thousandths each way to start and see if it tightens up. You may be very surprised. Barnes can only make a recommendation. Every rifle is different.

I start every Barnes bullet at their data OAL first. I have found that nearly every bullet they make will shoot best if front ring on the bullet is about center to just covering front bullet ring inside the neck. I have that 9 out of 10 times the bullet will be near .100 off the lands when best accuracy is found.

Thanks for the replies guys really appreciate your thoughts. I got the data from Barnes finally and I understand it will shoot a little slower. I don't mind sacrificing a little speed for accuracy, all I'm doing right now is looking for the bullet and powder combination my gun likes best ( tightest group)
So I'm curious to know what you found. I'm also looking for this combo

I've used ttsx 180 with 79 grains of h1000, works great for my gun. Browning xbolt. I've shot an elk and two moose so far.

Most of my rifles liked .030-.050 jump with Barnes. I have a 7x57AI that grouped like that. Found the tip wobbling bad and switched to the TSX. Tightened it right up and never touched another TTSX

Keep in mind your rifle might not like the 180s. My 300 WSM did not. Nor did it like the 168s. Settled in with the 150 grain TTSX and it shoots like a laser now.