264 win mag for elk?

I personally like the 6.5/06 with a 25" bbl I approach the 264 win. but again the 264 is the king ol long range . only a 300 win mag with custom target bullets will push it for distance.

I"m always the odd one, but I've had a couple 270's with 25" barrels as well. Can you say rocket...........:)

DogZ: Yes, I can and the 270 with 25" tube with a 140 bullet will do just a good as the 6.5 s and at at 400 yds 1" lower but the animal will not tell on you. your BC is better. and you have the option of a 150- and a 160 bullets. so I can say I agree.

I would not even consider the 156 Berger with a 1:9" twist. Berger states "1:8" minimum", minimum being key. There is a difference between "minimum" and "optimal". I run a 1:7.5" for the 156 in two rifles, and they are accurate as heck a LONG ways out there.

With a 1:9", I would be loading a 130-135 at blistering speeds. But, I would also not shoot this combo for elk. Deer and pronghorn slayer though.

Just my opinion.
If using a lighter buller choose a monometal, barnes or similiar. I have used barnes for years and the ttsx are very accurate and devastating at the far end. Need to load off the lands 20 -50 thou. for best accuracy.

If using a lighter buller choose a monometal, barnes or similiar. I have used barnes for years and the ttsx are very accurate and devastating at the far end. Need to load off the lands 20 -50 thou. for best accuracy.
Loading copper bullets, you still need faster twist rates due to their length. So you would need to run a 100-110 with a 1:9". But you can spit them like a lightning bolt.

That is the problem with the 6.5 that are way over bore. They build pressure before you utilize all the case capacity. 26 Nosler is an example of a case that can't reach its potential, poor design IMO. As other said you will have a tough time finding a 140 gr long range style bullet that will work in a 1/9 twist. Look into 129 LRAB, 130 AB or a partition. They will stabile and kill elk. I've killed 3 elk with the 129 LRAB.

That is the problem with the 6.5 that are way over bore. They build pressure before you utilize all the case capacity. 26 Nosler is an example of a case that can't reach its potential, poor design IMO. As other said you will have a tough time finding a 140 gr long range style bullet that will work in a 1/9 twist. Look into 129 LRAB, 130 AB or a partition. They will stabile and kill elk. I've killed 3 elk with the 129 LRAB.
I have a model 700 built in 1962, with a 1:9 barrel, I believe. It shoots factory Nosler 130 AB's really well. I've started trying to work up a load with 140 Speer Hot Cor's and the gun just doesn't like them. I just got a box of 129 ABLR's and am looking to start there. Do you have any load data you would be willing to share? As for now, I'll start with IMR 4350 as that's what the Nosler book recommends. Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

I've been looking for someone who is using 129 ablr in a 1:9 twist .264WM. Can you tell me what kind of accuracy you are getting and any load specs that are working gor you?
thanks

I've been looking for someone who is using 129 ablr in a 1:9 twist .264WM. Can you tell me what kind of accuracy you are getting and any load specs that are working gor you?
thanks
I used the 129 in a 6.5-06. Accuracy was great out of my rifle. Sorry no data for 264 WM