264 Win Mag build

walter351

I finally got approval (wife :D) to rebuild my first semi-custom rifle I ever built. It is a Win M70 post 64, with a manners stock and lilja #6 barrel. I have had this rifle for over 10 years and used it on everything. My most fondest hunting memories and successes have been experienced with this rifle so it is a little bitter sweet, but feels so right.

The lilja barrel was exceptional, but I have decided to change it up a little. My gunsmith ordered a fluted benchmark #4 1 in 8 twist on monday. The 264 win mag has been so good to me and has killed everything I pointed it at that I decided to do the same caliber. The guys at benchmark were awesome, and thoroughly impressed my smith. Now the waiting game begins. My wife is tired of hearing about it, but I am not done talking about it. gun)

Great choice as staying with the 264wm. I have had mine since 1963, a Remington 721 and had it re-barreled in 2010 with a Shilen 30 inch barrel with 1 in 8 twist and love the way it shoots. It seems to like all the weight of bullets I have tried. With the longer barrel I have quit using it in the brush and timber and only use it in the open sage brush country of Eastern Washington. Have a BAR 30*06 for brush and timber and a DPMS LR 338 Federal for larger game in brush and timber. Have fun and your wife will forget about it shortly after you get it and quit pacing the floor while waiting for it to b finished.

Thanks for the replies. I just realized we are all from Washington. Must be a Washington thing :). I attached a photo of some of my eastern washington bucks I took with this gun.

Attachments

• 20170204_154811.jpg
    20170204_154811.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 125
1966216_10203509980485225_5180717382749383669_o.jpg
Thanks for the replies. I just realized we are all from Washington. Must be a Washington thing :). I attached a photo of some of my eastern washington bucks I took with this gun.
This is a back yard photo during the rut between modern firearm and late archery seasons.

All but the Mule deer on the heart shaped board and the bear were taken with my 264wm. That deer was taken by my dad in 1945 with a 30-06 and I took the bear with a model 94 30-30 at 20 feet with a head shot.
40405_1388615790506_1096989_n.jpg

I finally got approval (wife :D) to rebuild my first semi-custom rifle I ever built. It is a Win M70 post 64, with a manners stock and lilja #6 barrel. I have had this rifle for over 10 years and used it on everything. My most fondest hunting memories and successes have been experienced with this rifle so it is a little bitter sweet, but feels so right.

The lilja barrel was exceptional, but I have decided to change it up a little. My gunsmith ordered a fluted benchmark #4 1 in 8 twist on monday. The 264 win mag has been so good to me and has killed everything I pointed it at that I decided to do the same caliber. The guys at benchmark were awesome, and thoroughly impressed my smith. Now the waiting game begins. My wife is tired of hearing about it, but I am not done talking about it. gun)

What length did you go with? I'm sure you probably have a favorite load for your previous barrel, but with your new barrel, you should consider trying the new Hornady 147 ELD-M, I bet you could get some good velocity with it, and the advertised G7 BC of .351 (G1 of .697 if anyone cares...) is spot on with my testing, and hits WAY harder than my previous 140 Berger load at long range, enough that when shooting my steel target at 840 yards, I could clearly hear a louder impact with the 147 than the 140.

What loads are you planning on working up?

What length did you go with? I'm sure you probably have a favorite load for your previous barrel, but with your new barrel, you should consider trying the new Hornady 147 ELD-M, I bet you could get some good velocity with it, and the advertised G7 BC of .351 (G1 of .697 if anyone cares...) is spot on with my testing, and hits WAY harder than my previous 140 Berger load at long range, enough that when shooting my steel target at 840 yards, I could clearly hear a louder impact with the 147 than the 140.

What loads are you planning on working up?

+1 147s in a .264WM would make for a very deadly combo!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.