Barrel length for a new .264 Win mag Build

IMO, 26" of barrel is where a 264 win just starts to come together. I've had everything from a 24" barrel to the 32" that recently finished up. If you want to shoot the 150 or 160's adjusting the freebore is another thing to seriously consider.
If you are planning to shoot 130g bullets a 9 twist 24" barrel works just fine and is sure handy in the field. If 140g bullets are more your style an 8 twist 26" barrel will safely get those bullets to 3,150fps. If you want to shoot the 150g bullets with best performance things start to change a bit. the length of the 150g bullet puts it pretty deep in the case and sucks up a fair amount of powder space. A 28" 7.5 twist is where i would be and 3,100fps is safely attainable with proper freebore. If you want to go with a 160g bullet a 7 twist is where you have to be and the more barrel you can give it to accelerate the better. I'm currently working with a 32" 8-7 transitional twist that has the most freebore I've ever used in a 264 win. My best accuracy ended up being just shy of 3,100fps with the 160 Matrix vid.

The new 264win that I just recently finished was set up specifically for the Berger 155g, the reamer was cut with 0.0663" more free bore from the cartridge base to the ogive than a SAAMI spec reamer. I am also running a 32" barrel. I settled on shooting the 160g Matrix VLD and with that reamer the base of the bearing surface of the 160 Matrix is 0.002" below the neck to shoulder junction of the case.
I found my seating depth, then worked up to 3,180fps where I had the first indication of hesitation in primary bolt lift. I then worked back down and settled in at 3,070 where I found the best SD with an SD of 7. I'm running with plenty of room to spare out of a 300 win mag AI detachable magazine.
Hope that sheds a little more light on what the longer 150-150g bullets want so you don't have to give up any case capacity.

i'm interested because I just got my 264 with progressive twist. 33". Talked to smith yesterday about extending free bore. Looking forward to hearing about yours.

Mine is also. I went with an 8 to 7 twist.
Yes I had read that in another thread. I like my gain twists a lot. My new one is 8.25-7.75. I've gone a .25 gain but my last two are .5 gain. I am interested in your 1 gain.

For the longer heavier bullets which have high BC; look into the Polygonal barrel, however, be sure to start them at 26" inches for cartridges like the .264 Win Mag.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.