Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 284 win

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • 270 win

Votes: 16 10.7%
  • 270 wsm

Votes: 17 11.4%

• Total voters
As mentioned above bullet weight, construction, and velocity has more to do with exit holes than diameter.

heavy for caliber bullets are often pass throughs on a heart, lung shot. I was given a 26 inch custom 270 win when I was about 14 and maybe 98 pounds. I was into reloading with guidance. little 100 grain were devastating varmint rounds. as to deer rounds 120 - 130 make massive exit wounds and the deer are DRT. 150 -175 grain with great BC seem to leave small exits at long ranges and the deer often doesn't move 50 feet. Never had an exit on Bison and both DRT heart shots.

I like cals that are very available and cheaper to shoot. I sold all of my cannons like 30-378, 338 Lapua, 416 rem, 458 win mag. Those are all bragging rights rifles :)

I have made 1000's of 260 rem from 308 range cases. That is a wonderful round for white tails and smaller game. I also have a 26 inch 257AI roberts that is a wonderful mule deer getter. I'm a 270 win man. or even 270AI. cheaper to shoot than the 270 wsm

I don't recall using the word "need more"! However, I do recall the OP using the term "all around"….which, in my very limited knowledge/experience includes game much larger, tougher, and potentially more dangerous than a Whitetail Deer! Hence, my suggestion for a cartridge with a bit more kill/stop potential! memtb
My apologies my post just so happened too post with your comment ,I was referring too the original vote block , what others were recommending ,l really don't have any thing against the Needmore. It definitely has it's place .

My apologies my post just so happened too post with your comment ,I was referring too the original vote block , what others were recommending ,l really don't have any thing against the Needmore. It definitely has it's place .
If I didn't already have 3 6.5 x55s 2 6.5-284s and2 6.5 prcs I might would go for a Creed , that's about the only ammo on the shelves these days . I might build one only for that reason the Creedmore is a modernized 6.5x55 . When I get too old too reload at least I can find ammo.

Nobody, will, admit to, actually Owning, a "Needmoor" but, T-Rust Me, there ARE, a Lot of them, in use ( Especially, by Women & Kids ).
A young Lady killed, a huge Bull Elk here, in the Idaho Desert at around, 450 Yards,.. ONE, Shot ( DRT ) with Factotry 6.5 creed, 143 Eld-X Ammo.
Heard that, IT was the #2, all Time, Biggest Bull in Idaho ! Her Elk kill Vid, is on YouTube if, you can find it !
Sam, let us know what, you choose and,.. good luck with, it !

Thank you all for your input and recommendations.im still on the fence about it.i believe I have got down to few cartridges after doing more research.im also going by what powder I have on hand as well. As far as bullets go I will be using hammer bullets in what ever I cartridge I do go with and will shoot bergers or few other easly found bullets for just general practices shooting

makes sense (and I do believe overkill always beats the alternative!) however I'd also assume dangerous game gets consideration all it's own. When I think of an all around North American hunting rifle my first thought isn't kodiak bears or stopping a charging bison haha. Ungulates mostly, deer, elk, moose. Maybe black bear, hogs. For any of these the 280 would do just fine.

I concur, with one potential caveat…..while hunting the non-dangerous game, you may encounter something requiring more "convincing" that small-bore cartridges generally provide. In my thoughts "all around hunting" means that the game sought may have neighbors …….that aren't very neighborly! 😉

Please forgive me of my transgressions…..in all avenues of life, I always consider worst case scenario!
memtb

Last edited:
I concur, with one potential caveat…..while hunting the non-dangerous game, you may encounter something requiring more "convincing" that small-bore cartridges generally provide. In my thoughts "all around hunting" means that the game sought May have neighbors …….that aren't very neighborly! 😉

Please forgive me of my transgressions…..in all avenues of life, I always consider worst case scenario!
memtb
fair enough and that's certainly wise...bring a gun appropriate for the largest predator you may happen to run into where you're hunting. Where I live that's black bear so not much of a concern. Nonetheless I did get drawn for moose this year and will be putting my new-to-me BRNO zg47 (mauser clone, action has 1956 stamped on it) in .358 Norma Magnum to the test Lord willing...I'd feel absolutely fine facing anything on this continent with that rig.

Hello all I'm looking at getting another rifle that I can pick up and go hunt what ever with like the calibers I already have. I've been looking at 6 5x284,6.5x47,260 rem and 6.5 needmoor for .264 cal.ive looked at 7mm-08 and 280 ai,280 rem for .284 caliber. 270 win or 270 wsm.but can't make my mind up what to go with.i really like the 30 cal which is what I mostly have all but one 270 win that was my grandpa that he gave me.i would like to try a new caliber I've been learning more towards the .284 caliber due to bigger exit hole if tracking is needed but seems like everyone shoots a 264 caliber something theses days but I don't like small holes and I shoot game in the boiler room and some times at 10 yards or closer depending on were I hunt.my max range is 500 to 550 that I'm comfortable shooting at and that's if everything is just right.i like the ballistics of the 264 caliber but like I said I don't like small holes.as far as handloading supplies gos I have powder and primers for all calibers listed just would need everything else and I've noticed. 284 bullets are easier to find at least for me than 264 bullets and .277are.i can find brass and dies for any listed as well. I'm just not sure what to go with.i would like what ever I get to be a good caliber for my 8 year old to use as well when hunting with me.i will put a brake on what ever I pick as well. I would like some insight on theses calibers if possible as well. Thanks and look forward to the recommendation
All around big game or just all around rifle?
I have owned and shot everything from a .416 Rigby (Ruger), .375 CheyTac (Barrett), .338 Edge ( Custom), .338RUM (Custom) .338 WinMag (Ruger), .30-.378 (Custom), .30-.338(Custom), 300RUM(Custom), 7mm RUM(Custom), 7mmRemMag (Custom)7mmRemMag (Sako), .270(Sako),6.5-.284(Custom), 6.5 PRC(Fierce), 6.5 Creedmoor(Bergera), 25-06AI( Semi-Custom Remington), .22-.250 RemMag(CZ), .223(Cooper).204 RUGER (Cooper),and various rimfire. 22's and. 17's.
I finally have came back to using one caliber of rifle for all of my big game hunting, the 7mmRemMag. The reasons why, well here are some of the best ones.
1. You can build or buy this rifle under 8lbs, even close to 6lb
2. It is capable of killing elk dead in their tracks with one shot.
3. With practice, you can shoot targets fairly easy up to 1500 yards.
4. It is easy to find ammunition for when you are traveling and forget your shells.
5. It can be made to shoot extremely accurate groups.
6. You can reload some of the highest B.C. rated bullets manufactured.
7. Actions, barrels and rifle manufacturers make this caliber easy to find and accessible.
8. Very fast and flat shooting loads can be reloaded or purchased.
9. Huge variety of bullets available from all bullet manufacturers.
10. Wide variety of powders manufactured by many companies for reloading and loaded ammo.
And that's just for starters!

Only chiming in here because you mention your child…others have given great commentary on a really fle for you, but strictly looking at your child I suggest 6.5x47. It's small and extremely efficient, achieving great ballistics with very little powder, and is easy on the shoulder without a brake, so with a brake recoil will be nearly non-existent. I had one and loved it but it was set up more for targets than game, though with a bullet swap it easily could have handled everything we have in Texas out to your listed ranges. In my opinion, the ONLY downside is that there pretty much only one company making brass for it, but it's Lapua so quality is top tier. So, when you find some, buy a couple hundred pieces and you're good for the life of two barrels.
Also in my experience the 6.5x47 is the easiest cartridge to load for.

If you like the ballistics of the 6.5 look at the 175+ grain out of a 280ai. I was looking for an all around as well and went with a 280ai and working a 175gr eldx running just over 2800fps. There is not an animal I would worry about shooting inside of 500. It is breaked and has slightly more recoil than a 22-250 unbreaked and would definately be below you old 270 unbreaked. But if shooting the 175 class make sure it is a 7.5 twist barrel for stability. You can also load lighter bullets which would also be effective inside 500.

Another thing you could do, is let your son shoot your 308 Win with 125 grain bullets and you shoot the new gun of your choosing. ;)
That's what I've done for many years for many young shooters!
125 Ballistic Tip and 125 Accubond works great when loaded anywhere from 2700-3000.
Its easy on recoil for young shooters and women.

Another thing you could do, is let your son shoot your 308 Win with 125 grain bullets and you shoot the new gun of your choosing. ;)
I've been thing about that as well but my 308 is around 16 lbs now and I've been looking for one that's not as heavy so he can use alittle easier and loaded it with lighter bullets