260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

What is a better hunting caliber the 260 Rem or the 6.5-06?

• Total voters
Yep, damned tough to get away from the 6.5's since there are so many wonderful choices.gun)

WildRose I like the way you think and I love your second amendment quote. Based on Jumpalot's observations of the survey I think it's time to pressure the ammo manufacturers to make the 6.5-06 a factory round and let us believers show the world what it is capable of. Thank you for your responses.

WildRose I like the way you think and I love your second amendment quote. Based on Jumpalot's observations of the survey I think it's time to pressure the ammo manufacturers to make the 6.5-06 a factory round and let us believers show the world what it is capable of. Thank you for your responses.
Thanks. Man if there was a standardized factory 6.5-06 I'd be all over one with light speed.

At some point in my early forties I outgrew my love affair with barrel burners and I just flat refuse to own anything I can't buy ammo for either over the shelf or to have delivered anywhere in N. America within 48 hours so that knocks me right out of any sort of wildcat chambering.

When I had more time I did a LOT of reloading and became obsessive about consistency and pinpoint accuracy, but once I started guiding/outfitting for a living that was pretty much the end of that phase of my life.

In short that's why I know own the .260; along with the fact I could get it in the AR Platform.

Every once in a while though I get back to thinking about trying something that absolutely pushes a 6.5 to it's very limits.. . Then I remember the cost of rebarrelling every 500rds or so. HA! gun)

Thanks. Man if there was a standardized factory 6.5-06 I'd be all over one with light speed.

At some point in my early forties I outgrew my love affair with barrel burners and I just flat refuse to own anything I can't buy ammo for either over the shelf or to have delivered anywhere in N. America within 48 hours so that knocks me right out of any sort of wildcat chambering.

When I had more time I did a LOT of reloading and became obsessive about consistency and pinpoint accuracy, but once I started guiding/outfitting for a living that was pretty much the end of that phase of my life.

In short that's why I know own the .260; along with the fact I could get it in the AR Platform.

Every once in a while though I get back to thinking about trying something that absolutely pushes a 6.5 to it's very limits.. . Then I remember the cost of rebarrelling every 500rds or so. HA! gun)

Someone may have already mentioned this earlier but I didn't read the whole thread. If the 6.5 -06 had come out earlier, there likely wouldn't be a 25-06! Both are great rounds but the 6.5 is better because of the bullet selection (b.c.) I think the 25 got the early nod because the 6.5 was more European, (metric) Dumb reason:D..........Rich

Someone may have already mentioned this earlier but I didn't read the whole thread. If the 6.5 -06 had come out earlier, there likely wouldn't be a 25-06! Both are great rounds but the 6.5 is better because of the bullet selection (b.c.) I think the 25 got the early nod because the 6.5 was more European, (metric) Dumb reason:D..........Rich

* when the 25-06 hit the shelves, there wasn't much of a selection in .264 bores as well. But there was a lot of interest in rounds like the .257 Roberts and the various improved versions. Somewhere I have a very old Hogdons manual, and I think they list only five bullets in .264! Probably four times that in 7mm

* 6.5mm bores got a bad rap from the .264 Win mag and the 6.5 Rem. mag eating barrels. Now we can buy barrels made of 17PH-4 rearc melt steel, and MAR-10.

* Of course there's also the 6.5x57 Mauser round as well as the 6.5x55 Sweed. You can do a similar case to the 7x57AI that out to put you right on the 6.5-06's door step with today's powders. I think Norma still sells 6.5 Mauser cases, and 7x57 as well. I'd think the 6.5x57AI out to do about 2875 fps with a 140 grain bullet
gary

took me a week to read this thread...

I voted 260 because thats what im having built next. it will be on a new M70 action. MGM will be making the barrel for me.

I had MGM redo a new M70 30-06 to a 280 Rem (non AI) last year so i dont need a 6.5-06... but it was a LONG and hard decision to go with the 280 over the 6.5, barrel burning is what really made me go with the 280 over the 6.5.

i cant wait to use these things either... stuck in Afghanistan, been here for about 2 years and will be here for about 2 more.

took me a week to read this thread...

I voted 260 because thats what im having built next. it will be on a new M70 action. MGM will be making the barrel for me.

I had MGM redo a new M70 30-06 to a 280 Rem (non AI) last year so i dont need a 6.5-06... but it was a LONG and hard decision to go with the 280 over the 6.5, barrel burning is what really made me go with the 280 over the 6.5.

i cant wait to use these things either... stuck in Afghanistan, been here for about 2 years and will be here for about 2 more.

Take care of yourself and "God Bless You" for your sacrifice!

I still go back to my point why not one of each? I have a 260 AI that will reach out and touch someone. Building my dad a 6mm Rem to do the same thing to fairly distant pdogs, heavy barreled great heavy rifles both of them, but I have the action sitting ready to build the 6.5-06 that will be my high elevation rifle. Will build a light contoured ultralight stocked version for the long hauls and higher elevations. Now the argument is only that I should have reversed them:rolleyes:. Oh well we will find out one of these days.

Been in a lot of stores and have not seen even ONE box of 6.5-06 ammo. However they all had 260 Rem ammo. Good luck on your quest, with the 260 your rifle will be a lot lighter and backpacker friendly.

You see this statement a lot, and it drives me nuts. How many times have you gone deer or elk hunting, got to camp, and then looked around and realized you forgot bullets? I know its never happened to me, or anyone I hunt with, nor will it....EVER.

And 260 Rem factory ammo is just as hard to find as hens teeth outside of major metro area sporting goods stores.

Clearly the 6.5-06 is a hand loaders round anyway.

I have both, and don't think there is a bit of difference between the two with the same bullet placement on the animal.

Good luck!

Just to let you know your 270 will do just as good as a 260 and maybe better.
Dear submoa, my 270 win has only 22" barrel. With AB 140gr, BC.432 starting vel 2950, at 650yds, with 200yds sight in, it would need 13.43" dial adjustment, terminal vel 1669fps very iffy expansion.

Where as 260 Rem with 26"-27" barrel with Amax 140gr BC .585 starting vel 2850fps, at 650 yds, would need 12.52" dial adjustment, terminal vel 1889fps assured expansion.

For 270win, I've opted 140gr Nosler AB, instead of Nosler 130gr Nos PT, to give it better BC in this equation. The short barrel is a handicap. For 260 Rem, I can specify twist to suit long Amax's requirement.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.