260 /Amax problems

I use them in my .260 over 46.0 gr of H-4831sc with good 5 shot groups @ 1/2" or better. !:8.5" twist 30" barrel. Vel. is only 2830 but very accurate. Same load with 139 Scenar is even better. I jump the A-Max. .018" as well as the Scenar.

Last edited:
Amax 140 works well for me with H4350 in Creedmoor with 1/8 twist. I too find better accuracy closer to the lans.

Might want to put RL17 on your list of other powders also. It will push the bullets in a Creedmoor and WSM faster than anything I know of and it is very accurate. RL17 is known for it's speed, and speed might help with stabilization, if that is the end issue.

I started working on loads for my 260 , I started with hornady 140gr Amax and eventually gave up on them because I could not get the flier out of them. 2 shots touching and one a inch -1.5" away, retorque everything and still no cigar, swapped scopes , no dice, loaded a Sierra game king one ragged hole over and over again. Has any body else had issues with the A max . I would like to try them in a 7mmrm build I have coming but hate to waist the money .

porkchop I FEEL YOUR PAIN although not the 140g i have tried the 123 AMAX

but i have 600 that don't shoot well 511 left so for me i'm sticking to burgers

and smk's barrel is 1:8 26" .

the pic says it all

Attachments

• IMG_2142 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2142 (Medium).JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 93
porkchop I FEEL YOUR PAIN although not the 140g i have tried the 123 AMAX

but i have 600 that don't shoot well 511 left so for me i'm sticking to burgers

and smk's barrel is 1:8 26" .

the pic says it all

My load of 46.0 gr. H-4831 shoots them very well. You may want to try it before giving up. There are quite a few .260's out there that like that load.

I got real meticulous this evening with loading some 0.015 off the lands , I will shoot group tomorrow and see how it goes.

My seating is close to yours at .018" jump. If you have 4831sc you may be pleased with the results. I get 3/4" @ 300 with it. You wont break any speed records but the accuracy will overshadow it.

I started working on loads for my 260 , I started with hornady 140gr Amax and eventually gave up on them because I could not get the flier out of them. 2 shots touching and one a inch -1.5" away, retorque everything and still no cigar, swapped scopes , no dice, loaded a Sierra game king one ragged hole over and over again. Has any body else had issues with the A max . I would like to try them in a 7mmrm build I have coming but hate to waist the money .

We need more detail about what you have tried. Please give description of all loads tried so far and be very detailed. Info so far to vague to give recommendation. AMAX's shoot so don't give up.

Agreed with what has been said above - the Amax bullets shoot well. I've had great success with the 162 in my 7RM, and I'm expecting great results with the 140's in my 6.5 Sherman. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.