260 /Amax problems

porkchop401

I started working on loads for my 260 , I started with hornady 140gr Amax and eventually gave up on them because I could not get the flier out of them. 2 shots touching and one a inch -1.5" away, retorque everything and still no cigar, swapped scopes , no dice, loaded a Sierra game king one ragged hole over and over again. Has any body else had issues with the A max . I would like to try them in a 7mmrm build I have coming but hate to waist the money .

I shoot the 162 amax in my 7mm rm and like them alot. I have not had the chance to shoot them past 100 yet but it seems like they shoot just as good or better than the 160 grn sierra game kings I shoot now. Plus you can get them for 27 bucks at midway. Good luck. My barrel in 1-9 twist, using h4831sc.

Im getting 1/2 moa or under with the 140 a-max out of my Creedmoor and same results with my 7mm Rm with the 162 a-max. I personally havent seen a gun yet that doesn't shoot the a-max well.

As was said, A-Max shoot.

That you get consistency with GMKs and not with A-Max leads me to ask the dreaded twist rate question.

Other than that, perhaps try a seating depth test.

I am shooting them with a 1/8 twist . I feel that is my problem and a bothersome it is since I have a couple of boxes of them glaring at me. On the box it states that they require a 1/7.5 ,so many folks said they shot fin out of a 1/8 I tried them , and I guess not!

I am shooting them with a 1/8 twist . I feel that is my problem and a bothersome it is since I have a couple of boxes of them glaring at me. On the box it states that they require a 1/7.5 ,so many folks said they shot fin out of a 1/8 I tried them , and I guess not!

I also have a 1:8 twist.... no issues. Same with my dads Creedmoor. I know its not a 260 but they are pretty close.

I know a 1-8 twist is enough for the 140 Amax. I have a .260 with a 1-9 twist and the 140 Amax is 2" at 200 yards. This is the best I could get with that bullet in this twist. Many of my buddies shoot them in a 8 twist and they hammer. Could be your barrel doesn't like them.

I did not have great luck with the 140 AMAX till I tried H4831SC with my 260. Nothing special seating wise but my favorite loads of H4350 and H414 were not there. I have a 1 in 9 24" that stabilizes them. Started at 43 and worked up to 47 started to open up at 45.5 but 45 is like 1/2 moa or better. Slower than I like but drops a 100 pound whitetail like a sack of gravel.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Porkchop H4831SC has been hard to beat in everything 6.5 especially with 140's that I own including 6.5-06 and 6.5x284. Be sure and let us know.

Shoot straight

Bob

try a different primer. I've found one time that a primer change will sometimes get the third shot to come back in. If not, that primer change re-adjusts your confidence and your mind/body bring the third shot back in.

I haven't tried any A max yet, but try the H4831. Everybody and their dog with a creedmoor will tell you H4350, but when somebody finally suggested 4831 to me it worked. I tried accubond LR, berger, and sierras with 4350 and they didn't compare to sierras with 4831 and I plan to try the A max myself ASAP. I have had good luck with 45.6 - 46 gr of 4831.

P.S. when the 4831 works don't expect anyone to believe you.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts