260 Remington and 123 AMax results

Jumpalot

I'm shooting a Savage with a #3 Brux barrel in a Boyd's thumbhole stock. Finally settled on 45.5 grains of H4350 for my load. The OAL was 2.865 touching the lands and it was a consistent 3/4 MOA performer. Decided to try adjusting seating depth to see if I could do any better. I tried to keep it simple and just screwed in the seating stem one turn and load three then screw in one more turn and load three etc. At 2.815" OAL the group opened up to 1 1/2". At 2.765" OAL the group was 1 1/4". At 2.715" OAL the group was 3/8". I wasn't really expecting that there would be that much difference by adjusting seating depth. Will load some more up at the 2.715" OAL and shoot them at 300yds and shoot over a chrono to get the velocity. I hoping this load will be consistent!!

Seating depth really fine tunes a load.
Screw it down again and see what you get.
Keep doing it until the groups open up again.

I would keep messing with the depth of the load but only go 1/2 turn at most. I usually will do 15 thous at a time and once i find a length that shoots the best i will adjust it in and out 5 thous and so on until its perfect.

For what it is worth my gunsmith tells me he only goes 3 thousanths between loads during load development. Bruce

i think if you do this you would shoot your barrel out before you find your accuracy node. not to mention waste a bunch of bullets. i follow bergers recomdations with all bullet brands. their method works very well.

I was basically copying Bergers technique. I will be back in town this weekend and will try to duplicate my prior results. I can definitely live with 3/8" accuracy with this rifle for what it will be used for.

Your results are pretty much out in left field according to benchrest theory, having 0.150" Jump and getting better accuracy that jammed... although many 204 rugers and weatherby's enjoy a good running sdtart before engaging the rifling.

Curious if your ammo has runout issues, although if the jammed didn't help, you may be good to go. I do know having poor quality dies can increase misalignment the further you seat a bullet, and sometimes partially starting a bullet, backing the ram off and rotating the case 1/4 turn can reduce runout.

Just some thoughts to consider, and I too would stay at the shorter OAL if she shoots that well.

Allen

I already rotate the shell while seating the bullet. It's been pretty consistent grouping from 3/8" to 1/2". I recently took the expander ball out to see if that would help. At the shortest OAL, it's still right at 3/8" and ES is 5 fps. I think I'll just leave as is. Velocity is 2957 fps. I can live with it since it's pretty much a truck gun and I'll use it mostly for coyotes.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts