.260 AI 156 Berger

usherjr208

Hi all,
New to the forum and new to loading so be as harsh as needed!
I recently acquired a .260 AI, it has a 26" Bbl and is a CZ550. I have been fire forming Hornady .260 rounds and recently gathered what I need for reloading to the 156 Bergers EDL Elite Hunters using H4350.
My buddy, a retired Marine is going to help me figure out what load is going to work best with my set up. I am looking for a starting point on how many grains of powder to start with, I haven't been able to find anything on the inter web for the 156's.
Any help would be much appreciated!
I've got a lot to learn about all this!
Thank you

Here's some data I got from berger for standard 260 and 156s.
Screenshot_20230913_203105_Email.jpg

I really appreciate everyone's feedback, while I've been hunting and shooting for close to 40 years I've just never got into this side of the arena and there's just so much to learn and understand!

Thank y'all!

IMG_3553.jpeg

Dropped a Vortex 6-24x50 on it today and sighted it in. What an absolute pleasure of a rifle to shoot. Hopefully get some loads made up this weekend with the info y'all provided.
I will be working up some with the H4350 and 156's as well as some with the powder y'all have recommended.
Based on the Berger load data shared for .260 156's is it safe to say when I start at my base powder that after fire forming I can start at the Max load of a standard .260 round since the data is for a standard .260 or is my reasoning flawed?
Thanks!

Forming brass for my 260 Ackley use a load not at max, I don't shoot the 156 in mine. The 140 hybrids and r26 with br2 primers shoot unreal. I use the 156 in my 6.5 Sherman with r26 and a buddy uses magnum in his.

Forming brass for my 260 Ackley use a load not at max, I don't shoot the 156 in mine. The 140 hybrids and r26 with br2 primers shoot unreal. I use the 156 in my 6.5 Sherman with r26 and a buddy uses magnum in his.
I am forming some Hornady 129 SST, then reloading to the 156's. I guess my question was if the standard .260 with a Berger 156 max load is 38.9 grains, can I start out with my fire formed rounds at that grain qty and ladder up to the most effective load? Or would I start with the low end of a standard load of 35 grains even though i formed to the AI already?

can I start out with my fire formed rounds at that grain qty and ladder up to the most effective load?
That's the general wisdom of AI, yes, and I've not been bitten by it.

But if this is your first time with an AI there's no harm in working up through the standard loads first. In fact I recommend it, because then you'll have the first-hand experience of it. 👍 No one can take experience away from you.

Last edited: