26 Nosler????? !!!!!

If one only lasted 400 rounds makes me question what kind of care was given to the barrel. Both cleaning and not allowing it to get too hot!

If that's the normal barrel life then I will stick with my 264WM.

I'm not certain that is the normal barrel life. That's just what someone else posted as their results earlier in this thread.

I'm hoping to hear a response that is at least double that. But I'm assuming the few guys who already own a 26 Nosler are limiting their shooting with it on purpose because of the barrel life.

There are so many options for the 6.5 caliber. I have an donor action for a 6.5 build; and obviously this 26 Nosler is interesting.

True...
Barrel care, be it heat, cleaning & cleaning practices...
Powder amounts, powder type... bullet type... initial barrel quality : Too many variables.

No matter what the case is... she's gonna cook.
Im running 88 grains of RL50 behind a 130 Accubond on mine.... need to chrony it yet... groups are solid... unlike Retumbo. With that propellant she was going wild.
Never went to 90 grains of RL50 as I felt that the way the load felt, the way the case/primer looked after firing that 88 was my best all-weather "safe" load.

*** This particular Nosler M48 Patriot has a VERY short throat in it.... I'm loading to 3.335.... SAAMI spec is 3.340, Jam is 3.350.

I haven't fired my 26 Noslers since I killed that Buck in November.
I don't see why people are in such a tizzy over that.
We ALL know they are high intensity. They are a LR hunting round, not a match or plinker.
6-800 rounds of barrel life is to be expected if you treat it right.
During deer season I fired 3 shots. One to foul, one to miss, and one to kill.
During load development and bore sight I fired 12 rounds.
15 rounds in ONE year.... that's still 5-10 years of Service....

*** Nevermind the fact that "barrel accuracy life" is a loose term. What is accurate to you... to me?
My M48 hopefully will hold .3moa for a few hundred... will rebarrel it when it becomes an moa rifle.

I haven't fired my 26 Noslers since I killed that Buck in November.
I don't see why people are in such a tizzy over that.
We ALL know they are high intensity. They are a LR hunting round, not a match or plinker.
6-800 rounds of barrel life is to be expected if you treat it right.
During deer season I fired 3 shots. One to foul, one to miss, and one to kill.
During load development and bore sight I fired 12 rounds.
15 rounds in ONE year.... that's still 5-10 years of Service....

I agree more than enough barrel life for the average hunter. I was just wondering if the previous mentioned number of 400 rounds was seen by anyone else.

I just joined the forum and I have a new 26 Nosler. 15 rounds a year is 26 years at the unsubstantiated 400 round count. Ammo is arriving daily this week I am looking forward to shooting it.
Has anyone shot factory Nosler loads? Which ones provide the best accuracy?

Thanks,
Tom

I have shot the nosler trophy 140gr AB for barrel break in and without getting into numbers or pictures i was impressed with the performance. As soon as winters over i will be back to the range with some of my hand loads and let you know how its going.

Hey hobbies are expensive !Big deal So you burn out a bbl ,shoot that thing. Start saving now for your next bbl. $350 bucks and then another $300 bucks to have it chambered ,live a little shoot it !

True.... I'm building a 28 Nosler off of a 7 STW SPS Limited... the barrel was crap, and I got the rifle at a steal.... so I'm happy. I have two 26 Noslers... Not worried about burning anything up. My " range bangers " are a pair of 280 ackleys and a 6.5x284.... truth be told, the 6.5x284 is rather blasé for my taste. That rifle WILL become another Ackley when the time is right.gun)

If you all love the 26 so much you will jump right in and up the game and get Weatherby's 6.5x300 mag. The war is on what company will up the game next with a new 6.5. I would rather up the game to the 408 Cheytac pushing the 305 gr bullet to 3500fps or the 419gr bullet to 2900 fps makes you feel warm and fuzzy all over.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts