26 Nosler Wildcats - 30 Nosler (308)

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
I have been trying to decide on a new 30 caliber rifle that fell somewhere between a 30-06 and a 300 RUM and was in a beltless case. I had been leaning toward a 30/375 Ruger until I ran across this thread. Now the 30/375 Ruger is history and I want a Nosler 30 caliber.

I realize all the reamers are available for either the 30 Nosler or the 30/26 Nosler from PTG, and that the 26 Nosler brass is generally available to make the 30/26 while the 30 Nosler is not available and no release date yet. Also in this thread (or another in this forum) that there is small but significant dimensional difference between the SAAMI 30 Nosler and 26 Nosler. Which means that I will not be able to use correct headstamp brass in the wildcat version but will most likely be able to shoot sooner than a chambering in 30 Nosler. So what to do.....

Either way where can I get dies or have them made?

I got a reamer drawing from PTG today for my 308 28 Nosler. I am attaching it for you guys to look at and let me know if it is the same as some of ya'lls. Looking for ward to hearing. Well, I hope it attached.

Attachments

• nosler 308 2803122015.pdf
    585.4 KB · Views: 109
I got a reamer drawing from PTG today for my 308 28 Nosler. I am attaching it for you guys to look at and let me know if it is the same as some of ya'lls. Looking for ward to hearing. Well, I hope it attached.
Looks ok to me. I'm a bit sleepy but the shoulder dimensions and datum are correct.

What bullet are you throating this for? .155 throat?

I am so new to this sort of custom loading, that I really don't know what I don't know.
I am not a bench rest shooter, just a hunter. I like the idea that this rifle will be powerful enough to take down a nilgai or accurate enough for a long range elk. In hunting nilgai, most of the outfitters will not let you hunt with anything less powerful than a 300 win mag. I shot my first with a 375 ruger in 300 grain.
You guys have me wanting chamber casts of all my rifles just to fine tune my loads for them. As far as what bullet I am going to load for the 308 28, I had mainly planned to try different hunting bullets til I found the most accurate loads. I don't know much about Berger bullets, as I mainly have had the idea that they were used for bench rest shooting. I have started reading about them on this forum.
I have several wildcat rifles, but have loaded til I get the most accurate loads.
I have started reading on this site to educate myself on the finer points of loading, so if I ask ignorant questions, be patient.

I called PTG to make sure my 28 nosler go gauge would work with the 308 28 nosler reamer. They assured me that it would, so I told them to go ahead. I then ordered a dvd "reloading for long range hunting" from defensive edge. This should teach me some of the techniques I see you guys talking about on bullet seating and so forth. Ain't learning fun.

Any more load test been completed yet. Thinking of one for a new build but would like to see more data before changing reamer design

I probably have data I have not published. Looking for anything specific?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.