26 Nosler hates Barnes but likes Berger

Engineering101

Several months ago I bought a used Sako Finnbear in 7mm Rem Mag to use as a donor for my new 26 Nosler. I floated the barrel, tweaked the trigger, bedded the recoil lug (has a metal pillar in back) and put on a new recoil pad. Then I threw a couple loads together just to see if it shot OK as a 7mm and it did so no issues with the basic platform. I then had my smith chamber up a 26 Nosler barrel and install. The barrel is a stainless Krieger #5 bull sporter, 8.5 twist, 5R finished at 26 inches. I stuck a Leupold VX-6 in 3X18 on top. See attached pic.

My plan was to shoot the 127 grain LRX since bullets going as fast as they would be going would need to be tough. It took me about 75 rounds to figure out that it just won't shoot Barnes bullets. I've tried both the 127 grain LRX and 120 grain TTSX. Used Magnum, RL-33, IMR7828SSC and US869. It exhibited huge pressure/velocity spikes and shot like the scope was broken.

The pressure spikes were worse the more empty the case and the cases were pretty empty because I got similar velocities to Nosler data but with 4 grains less powder across the board. The bullets were 0.050" to 0.100" off the lands so they were never jammed (though it sure acted like it). At one point I tried some IMR7828SSC. The first shot was right on the velocity I was expecting (3,330 fps) and the second shot with the same load detonated to where I had to pound the bolt open with a hammer. Velocity on that shot ran 3,505 fps. US869 (maybe because it had a higher fill ratio) was the best powder of the bunch but it still spiked as high as 3,580 fps with the 127 LRX while it had been running 3,490 fps nominally. Unlike IMR7828SSC, it can do 3,580 fps without locking up the bolt though it was a bit too sticky.

Just for the heck of it I loaded up some 140 Berger HVLDs and they shot 0.75 MOA with an ES of 10 fps yesterday and (to make sure it wasn't an accident) again this morning. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't believe a rifle could be that bad with solid copper bullets while going sub MOA with Bergers. I'm guessing that it will also shoot any other not solid bullet with acceptable accuracy. Is there anyone out there who has seen this before and most important, any ideas how I might get the Barnes bullets to shoot short of changing out barrels.

Attachments

• 26 nosler 0b.jpg
    26 nosler 0b.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 272
I shoot Amax's in 2 of my 6.5-300wm's because they love them. I don't think I'd sweat shooting a Berger if that is what it likes. You could always try Accubonds, E-tips, Scirocco's, etc. in it if your worried about over expansion. I've killed 2 elk under 150yds with 140 Amax's with mine at 3230fps. I just shot my 26" barrel gun with 123 Amax's doing 3508fps using 75.5grs of Retumbo in Winchester cases. I'd be looking at 869, R-50, R-33, 50BMG, WC872 are what I'd be looking at to try and get my case fill up and I'd probably focus on the slowest side of that group. Your velocity would probably go up a good bit too. I'm going to try R-50 next in mine to try and get the case fill up as well without having to resort to ball powders. With Retumbo I'm probably only 90% but it shoots like crazy in 2 of the 3 6.5-300wm I have. I hate to waste too much barrel life playing with loads when I have something that works so well. The 3rd is a lighter #4 fluted and it's been a bit fussy so far.

That is strange. I would suggest measuring the diameter of the Barnes bullets to see if some of them are fat.

Good luck,
-Bryan

I am shooting 130 Accubonds at 3350 fps in my 264 Win mag and they hold together and keep on trucking as close at 30 yards through both shoulders of a deer. I was worried about bullets coming apart going that fast at close range also. The 130 AB is VERY accurate. It flies like the ballistic tip and starts to open up like one but holds together like the partition and keeps on trucking. I have killed about a dozen deer with this combo from 30 to a bit over 400 yards with bang flop results. I have only recovered one bullet. It was shot into a buck at 111 yards length wise. It smashed the left scapula and was found against the smashed ball socket of the right ham. Weight was 87 grs and a text book mushroom. I use Retumbo to get the speed in my 27 3/4" 9 twist Shilen barrel.

IdahoCTG

Believe it or not, even with 50BMG, the 26 Nosler pressures out way before the case gets full. RL-50 is about the only powder that might fill it up before that happens. I'll give that a try assuming I can find some.

Bryan

Both of the Barnes bullets I used measure right at 0.264" diameter but I do know that the Krieger barrel is also 0.264" at the lands so that may be the answer - the barrel is just too tight for copper bullets and such an extreme chambering. One piece of data that somewhat counteracts that thought is that the barrel didn't pick up much copper even after 20 rounds.

RT2506

Good to know the Accubonds hold up decent even when shot through a deer from stem to stern. It is nice to have options.

I'll likely go with the 140 Bergers and call it good. I'm headed out for a high mountain buck scouting trip Sunday and will be going for real a few weeks later so time is running short. My nephew has used the 140 Bergers on deer with great success and they are the best out there for BC so you gotta like that. If I get something up close, I'll just shoot it in the head. Thanks for the thoughts on this.

RT2506

I just looked up some loads for the 130 Accubond that you mentioned you are running at 3,350 fps out of your 264 Win Mag with Retumbo. Even accounting for your longer barrel your load beats everything Nosler lists. How much Retumbo are you using, what is the COAL and jump.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts