257 weatherby or 6.5 Creedmoor

the factory ammo selections for 257 wby are not very elk ready. As with just about every chambering that's been around a while, the twist rate is not heavy bullet friendly, so distances will be limited Look at a ballistics table for reference. Although the wbys have extra freebore, it's not enough for the long and slippery bullets to stay in the neck.
If you Add some freebore to a 9 twist it would be a much better elk gun.
I won't comment on the price of the ammo. It's all high.

All that said, it's a beast inside of 450 yds on eeer, pronghorn and the like.

If you buy some 7mm mag brass new, and run there through 257 mag dies. You got your brass that if you reload. You can use shot brass but the new stuff last longer.

A very nice long range White tail, Mule Deer and Antelope round. Some guys even use it for Elk. ( Not me ) With a very tough bullet, and excellent shot placement , it seems to work fine. Very High velocity round, Great fit and finish to the Mark V. I shoot a 270 Weatherby Mag, in a Mark V deluxe. I only mention this because they share the same Case. Same type of round ,medium sized game at extended Ranges. Ammo is expensive, so if you really like to shoot at the range ,handloading will be the way to go. Barrel will heat up fast , so don't rapid fire the gun. Have fun with it!!!!

I have a chance to buy a 257 Weatherby Mark V. I already have a 6.5 creedmoor. Do I need the 257 Weatherby?
Once you've owned and shot one, you'll realize you can't live without it.
Yes, ammo is pricey. But, they are shooters. Theres not much it won't kill with a 117gr bullet and
yes (shot placement is king)
just my .02 cents

You loading for or plan on loading for either of the two. ? Do you have a Toy collection ? Never enough ! the 25's is a nice mild recoil round as is the 6.5CM . I shoot them both and love them. I don't use the 257 Wby mine is a custom 25-06 AI with a 28 in tube - still the same bullet and love the velocity mine brings me . Know what it can do on various game ! I Handload all my ammo.

30-378 Wby Mag how you love your's , I love mine!!!