257 weatherby

I'm a 300 believer. I shoot everything with one. That said I hunt elk with a guy that shoots everything with a .243 win. He shoots 100 grain bullets. Keeps his shots at 200 yards or less. Is very careful of his angles and shot placement. When he shoots his animals die. So yes the 257 is enough gun for elk.

I'm a 300 believer. I shoot everything with one. That said I hunt elk with a guy that shoots everything with a .243 win. He shoots 100 grain bullets. Keeps his shots at 200 yards or less. Is very careful of his angles and shot placement. When he shoots his animals die. So yes the 257 is enough gun for elk.
I'am a 300 believer myself.

Since both rifles are light enough for you, take both and alternate, I've done that many times, ha. I always take a spare rifle on any hunt away from home. I've had rifles (scopes usually) crap out or fog up, etc. Much less time consuming to just pick up the spare and keep hunting, then come back later and try to fix the other.

When I went elk hunting last year, the 257 was my backup gun. I was very comfortable using a 120gr partition handloaded hot. BUT my 300 with a 215 Berger was my first choice. The 6x6 I shot was 208 yards and could have been killed easily with any legal cartridge.
IMHO the 06 is not much different out to 400 in terms of terminal performance. After 400 yards, I don't love either choice. If your shots are further, you may want to buy or borrow a bigger stick. JMO

I have killed about 30 elk with the .257 Weatherby. Longest shot 350 yds. I accepted only good shots and at moderate distance. I used 120 partitions and 115 partitions. Check out Wally Tabor and his use of this cartridge.

I've used my 25-06 with 115gr Partitions @ 3266fps (muzzle velocity) on elk and moose, longest shot was 309yrds on a bull elk, his legs collapsed as if he was pole axed. Most bull elk I've shot with it have stumbled, gone into a dead run and dropped mid stride around 50-60yrds from where hit.
Cows have either dropped or stumbled and then fallen over.
2 moose, one cow, one bull, were shot within 60yrds, both dropped nose down then ran in that position until the back half overtook the front half, thrashed a bit but never regained their feet, finishers were used on request of the guide. They were not necessary. Of the recovered bullets, those 115gr PT's retain more weight and penetrate further than the 120gr does, the partition must be higher in the jacket.
The other bullet I use in 25cal that kills better than it's weight would suggest is the 110gr Accubond, outstanding bullet penetration but does less internal damage than Partitions.

The 25 cal does a brilliant job when EVERYTHING goes RIGHT and you have HUGE confidence in it, BUT if stuff goes bad (fingers crossed) can you rely on it to pull up a wounded animal? This played on my mind in every one of those hunts and I was lucky, and confident, when it worked just right.
In the back if my mind, I'm very glad everything went right...I don't like the thought that a guide would have to finish off an animal I couldn't.

Food for thought.

Cheers.
:)

I have a 25-06 in a sendero sfii that I have used elk hunting in Idaho for years. Several animals killed at 600 plus yards with it. The bullet you choose to use is more important than the caliber in my opinion. There are so many good bullets nowadays that you can match to your style of hunting (short range, long range) for good results...and technology has improved that taking these long shots is easier than it has ever been. The BCs on the 25 cal bullets are't as high as others which is its biggest draw back. There are a lot of animals wounded and not recovered with the big 30 cals. I wouldn't hesitate to use your 257 weatherby on an elk hunt.

We have had a couple of 257 WBY passed around our family. They have taken all sizes of game--but mostly whitetail, and axis deer...I remember that gun un-glueing a very nice size red deer hind...DRT...with 110 accubond it kills bigger than it is.

Ed

I have never killed anything larger than some big whitetail deer with my 25-06s but I have used all sorts of bullets and loads over the past 30 years of which 15 of those years I did crop damage control experimenting to see what works and does not. From my results there are two bullets that I would have no problem using on larger game. If it will shoot through a deer from chest to hams it will penetrate the same on larger game. The two bullets I would use would be either the Nosler 115 Partition or the older Speer 120 Grand Slam which I just happen to have some in my stash. I like the Grand Slam best because it shoots the most accurate in my rifle, 1/4 MOA. I only ever recovered 1 of these bullets in over 100 deer shot from many different angles and yardages. This recovered bullet came from a 190 lb on hoof buck shot in the center of the chest from 25 yards. Muzzle velocity was 3000 fps. Bullet was found against the smashed ball joint in the right ham and recovered weight was 87 grs. My buddy has used the 257 Weatherby for years and in my experience it is just more of a good thing. By the way my favorite deer bullet is the 117 Sierra. VERY accurate and VERY deadly. Bang flop results 99% of the time.

Have a friend that gets her elk every year with her 257 Roberts. Can't remwmber a year she hasn't filled her tag

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.