257 weatherby or 6.5 Creedmoor

The 257 WBY is a full class above the 6.5 CM. It's a very hard hitting .25 cal rifle.
I would hope it comes with some dies, however, because factory ammo would be hard to locate now,
and is quite expensive. It was the cost of 300 WBY and 257 WBY ammo that motivated me to start reloading
about 40 years ago.
A lot of water (and money) has passed under the bridge since then!

Depends how much you plan to shoot it - yes speed kills & the .257 Wby has lots of speed but is expensive to shoot compared to the mild mannered, carefully designed, efficient, accurate, desirable, accurate 6.5 Creedmoor. I remember real good when I saw a .257 WBY take out a rock chuck with a .257 Nosler 100 BT at just over 350 yards - the rodent just burst open spewing parts and glop over a 5 ft circle - impressive, don't think the much smaller mild maner 6.5 Creedmoor loaded with a 95 gr. VMax could come close to equaling that spectacular rodent destruction.

You loading for or plan on loading for either of the two. ? Do you have a Toy collection ? Never enough ! the 25's is a nice mild recoil round as is the 6.5CM . I shoot them both and love them. I don't use the 257 Wby mine is a custom 25-06 AI with a 28 in tube - still the same bullet and love the velocity mine brings me . Know what it can do on various game ! I Handload all my ammo.

30-378 Wby Mag how you love your's , I love mine!!!
I don't have a .257 Roy, just been an admirer... My speedster is a .220 Swift or my Weatherby Mk.V in .243 Win.

I agree on the size difference. However, the 257 has greater velocity. I thought that may make it better within 600 yards. I know the 6.5 is supposed to be a "miracle round", but am I off base?
What's more important is the projectile you choose to use. Lots of options, but it might be worth your while to look into the Badlands - https://badlandsprecision.com/product-category/bulldozer-2/
or
Hammers - https://hammerbullets.com/product-tag/257/

These projos will pretty much take anything you throw at them. In fact, a poster on here recently showed a 35 gr Hammer that penetrated approx 36" on a deer. https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...nce-picture-heavy.218288/page-30#post-2483735

(just be sure to be alert to twist rate recommendations and take them seriously)

Last edited:
I love my .257 bee and wouldn't hesitate to shoot an elk with it out to 500 yards. Mine likes TTSX. They aren't really in the weight class of most elk bullets but the screaming velocity makes up much of the difference.

I did have one split an antelope cape from shoulder to jaw once when I had to finish off a speed goat at 50 yards that didn't want to die. This is the only rifle I use routinely for hunting that causes me to worry just the slightest bit about over-velocity with monolithics.

When we finally get the right barrels, reamers, and heavy bullets figured out it will be an absolute beast.

Don't buy a weatherby if you don't reload though.

Yeah, I agree with many here, the .257 Wby Mag may not be called an Elk rifle in the true sense of the word, but... it's hammered more than its fair share of Elk for sure, as has the .264 Win Mag. Just my 0.2 Cheers.

A very nice long range White tail, Mule Deer and Antelope round. Some guys even use it for Elk. ( Not me ) With a very tough bullet, and excellent shot placement , it seems to work fine. Very High velocity round, Great fit and finish to the Mark V. I shoot a 270 Weatherby Mag, in a Mark V deluxe. I only mention this because they share the same Case. Same type of round ,medium sized game at extended Ranges. Ammo is expensive, so if you really like to shoot at the range ,handloading will be the way to go. Barrel will heat up fast , so don't rapid fire the gun. Have fun with it!!!!
Good advice here! I've been hunting big game for almost 40 years, any my .257 Weatherby Mark V Accumark has made the two longest one shot kills by far. I love this round, and my gun. Perfect for deer and antelope.