257 Weatherby or 264 Win Mag next rifle build

For cool factor, a 257 wby twisted for 131 ace. Most guys use 345 g7 bc and this will have accuracy node above 3300fps, no cartridge/bullet combo will out shoot it evevation that has less than 100gr capacity. For practicality sake, the 264 is less overbore, bullets up to 160gr, it makes better sense, has a large bullet selection. And it's pretty classic old school, and still deserves respect. If win/rem would just build em with 8 twist barrels.

I vote for the 257 Weatherby but not with a 131 bullet but the 115 Berger. Reason is flatter trajectory with decent BC. Could go with a 110 Accubond which would also be flat but loosing some BC. Seeing you have the big bore for elk bear etc use this for deer, antelope and the occasional varmint.

Five of us came up with a combination that has stunning performance. 26-28" 3 groove Lilja 1 in 10 twist with moly coated Bergers and a custom reamer made by Pacific Tool and Gauge with some variations on Weatherby's chamber. RL-25 or RL-33 with a 27.5" -28" barrel is getting 3650-3675 fps!

Most of us are using it for LR coues wt. At 4000 ft my rifle is 3.1" @ 100, and 8" low at 500 yds. The past two seasons I didn't have to touch a turret just aim and shoot. To date the five of us have taken quite a few animals:

27 coues wt
6 elk
4 mule deer
2 antelope
a few javelina, coyotes and jackrabbits
many kills are DRT and some didn't even twitch!

I vote for the 257 Weatherby but not with a 131 bullet but the 115 Berger. Reason is flatter trajectory with decent BC. Could go with a 110 Accubond which would also be flat but loosing some BC. Seeing you have the big bore for elk bear etc use this for deer, antelope and the occasional varmint.

Five of us came up with a combination that has stunning performance. 26-28" 3 groove Lilja 1 in 10 twist with moly coated Bergers and a custom reamer made by Pacific Tool and Gauge with some variations on Weatherby's chamber. RL-25 or RL-33 with a 27.5" -28" barrel is getting 3650-3675 fps!

Most of us are using it for LR coues wt. At 4000 ft my rifle is 3.1" @ 100, and 8" low at 500 yds. The past two seasons I didn't have to touch a turret just aim and shoot. To date the five of us have taken quite a few animals:

27 coues wt
6 elk
4 mule deer
2 antelope
a few javelina, coyotes and jackrabbits
many kills are DRT and some didn't even twitch!

That's quite a combo-- but going with the faster twisted barrel will still let him shoot 115s but make the bump to the heavier Hammers (121/128) or the 131 blackjack which have proven to do well on whitetail on up and make it well suitable for elk.

The downrange numbers on the Blackjack are just incredible as well- if you sail that out at 3400fps (which used to be territory for the 110 Accubond and 115 VLD. It provides better downrange ballistics (velocity/energy/reduced wind drift) than a 7mm 162 pushed over 3000fps~

With LOTS less recoil... and a 24-26" barrel!

Go with the .264 Win Mag. Way way way more bullet options and bullet options that are here to stay. You say the 6.5 PRC is the flavor of the month, but the 131 Blackjack is really the fad lately. I wouldn't build a rifle based around one bullet that's basically a Sierra MatchKing, but could disappear tomorrow because it's still so new. The .264 WinMag has been around for half a century and won't be going anywhere.

Go with the .264 Win Mag. Way way way more bullet options and bullet options that are here to stay. You say the 6.5 PRC is the flavor of the month, but the 131 Blackjack is really the fad lately. I wouldn't build a rifle based around one bullet that's basically a Sierra MatchKing, but could disappear tomorrow because it's still so new. The .264 WinMag has been around for half a century and won't be going anywhere.

But it's a 257 weatherby... So you might only need 1000 bullets to burn the barrel out. Then you can rebarrel it to whatever you want if the blackjacks disappear.

I've had a 257wby and loved it, I currently have a 6.5-300wby, in concur with your 257 thoughts, but the 264 might need a very long barrel to reach that. I'm looking into this same thing and from what I gather 140s at 3100 seem more realistic in a 26 or 24"
My 6.5-300wby wont hit 3300 in a 26" with any accuracy.
Did you know Howard Wolfe? He was my gunsmith for many years.

I also would say 264 Win mag all the way. I would never build a rifle depending on one specialty bullet no matter how great the bullet was. Crap happens and tomorrow that bullet may be gone for good. 264 Win mag with at least a 26" barrel. I have one with a 27 3/4" which was all the smith could get out of the 28" blank. I personally did not have the rifle built, a friend did. He chose a 9" twist like Winchester used.
I would have chosen an 8" twist.

My buddy only shot a box and a half of Winchester factory 140 gr bullets through the rifle before he decided that he wanted a 270 Win. rifle that he had been trying to get from me for years that I offered to trade him for it.

Because white tail deer across big bean fields was my intended purpose after long deliberation I decided to give the 130 gr Accubond a try with Retumbo powder. It went together like ice cream and apple pie. 3350 fps with no problem and sub MOA accuracy. Shoots like a laser beam and kills like lightening struck close up to far off with no bullet blow up at close range.

I love my 264 win mag. It's a factory built Rem 700. It's a screamer. Only mods are the trigger and the crown. It's loud, obnoxious, and the recoil is significant but tolerable. It's accurate. I pushed some 140 grain Nosler Accubonds at 3300 a few years ago. I backed em down. I couldn't get far enough away from the mule deer here in CO to need them that fast. They were too much for the 100 yards shots I typically need. Anyway, I'm a big fan of the 264 win mag. (And also the flavor of the month 6.5 PRC 🤓 I love my PRC.)

Been back and forth on this one, I just finished a build on a 35 Whelen for mid range (super accurate 225 grain Accubonds @2800 fps) and last year a 300 Win Mag build for long range and elk/bears out there. Was looking to complement what I have on hand and was playing with a 25-06 and a 243 but found them lacking past 400-500 yards. Was looking towards a 257 bee with a twist to allow 130 grain bullets or a 264 Win Mag. Not interested in a wildcat, nor the flavor of the month 6.5 PRC or Weatherby version, a 140 @ 3000 is average and only matches what the old 6.5-06 does, not interested. A friend is shooting 140's out of his 264 @ 3300 with great success and I do like that. Cant help but think what the Weatherby woul130's @ maybe 3200+ fps? Thoughts?

I know that you have asked about the .264 WinMag, just another thought is the .270 WSM with a 26 inch barrel, sort of an in between cartridge that will reach what you wrote you are looking for. I'd suggest the 26 inch barrel no matter what you build to maximize the potential for those small calibers. Good luck with your build.