257 Weatherby or 264 Win Mag next rifle build

Made this choice 2 years ago and went 257. Already had 6.5

Heavy is great in the 257 but don't discount how great a western deer cartridge the 257 is shooting 100gr Barnes tsx

Also..have you put any thought into building a 2506?.. Hornady has quite a nice selection of bullets..and an extensive reloading archive..2506 ain't no joke

Wife shoots a plain jane Mark V in .257 Wby since 1976. Gets 3450 with 120 gr Nosler partitions using I-7828. That rig's performance on game is like magic. Very interesting cartridge, I'd love to re-barrel hers to 1:7.25 and try some bigger pills.

Been back and forth on this one, I just finished a build on a 35 Whelen for mid range (super accurate 225 grain Accubonds @2800 fps) and last year a 300 Win Mag build for long range and elk/bears out there. Was looking to complement what I have on hand and was playing with a 25-06 and a 243 but found them lacking past 400-500 yards. Was looking towards a 257 bee with a twist to allow 130 grain bullets or a 264 Win Mag. Not interested in a wildcat, nor the flavor of the month 6.5 PRC or Weatherby version, a 140 @ 3000 is average and only matches what the old 6.5-06 does, not interested. A friend is shooting 140's out of his 264 @ 3300 with great success and I do like that. Cant help but think what the Weatherby would do with 130's @ maybe 3200+ fps? Thoughts?
Couldn't you just use the 300win.? We run the 150 grain, Barnes tsx which seems to be effective at 3460, 3 rounds at 100yds, tearing at the same hole, or inside a quarter. Just sayin', I can't afford a lot of different guns, so I try to improve on the ones I have, have a nice day.

Between the two on your list, "my" personal choice is the .264 WM. Just finished head-spacing my budget build and if time allows mount scope this weekend. It has an X-caliber 26" 5R 1:7" specifically built to propel the 156 Berger or 160 Matrix.

View attachment 175915

View attachment 175913

Good luck!

Watching for results. I currently have a Proof 28" 8 twist blank I need to build on something. I had much bigger plans for a wildcat but after talking with Manson and my builder extensively I'm thinking of backing off to the 264 WM. I already own a 26" 6.5-284 that runs 3072 with 140 Bergers and has single digit SD and shoots in the .3s so I'm not sure how much more the 264 WM offers.

The problem I've had with the 264 is barrel life..it is an excellent round but when you start working up handloads you are going to have to find a happy medium between factory and super high velocity.. otherwise you will be replacing barrels.. absolutely a fine round though
I personally have not heard of anyone ever replacing a 264 barrel for shooting the rifling out, an it's not any worse than any other magnum caliber out there.. There's a band of followers from years ago who says!! Oh... a 264 stay away barrel burner, barrel burner!!! I don't think anyone who is just a hunter would ever burn a barrel out in there lifetime. IMHO...

I personally have not heard of anyone ever replacing a 264 barrel for shooting the rifling out, an it's not any worse than any other magnum caliber out there.. There's a band of followers from years ago who says!! Oh... a 264 stay away barrel burner, barrel burner!!! I don't think anyone who is just a hunter would ever burn a barrel out in there lifetime. IMHO...

Between the two on your list, "my" personal choice is the .264 WM. Just finished head-spacing my budget build and if time allows mount scope this weekend. It has an X-caliber 26" 5R 1:7" specifically built to propel the 156 Berger or 160 Matrix.

View attachment 175915

View attachment 175913

Good luck!
Unfortunately, the 160 matrix, or any matrix bullets aren't available anymore. I am hoarding the few 160s I have left for my 6.5-284

Given you have brought the challenge down to 257 Weatherby or 264 Win Mag.. I would go 264 Win. I like both cartidges in this debate but I think the fast twist 264 win would do exactly what you want it to. heavy 264 slugs up to 156 or maybe 160. running a 1:8 or 1:7 twist would make an excellent low recoil long range Elk or whatever you want to hunt. I personally would build a wildcat 270 off the 264 win/7mm rem mag cases. I am a 277 freak so that is what I would do.

You are correct..if you run factory ammunition or reasonable re loads a model 70 Winchester will last a lifetime just hunting with it..and probably the next guys life also..super fast rounds will burn the barrel..so just don't do that..lol

Been back and forth on this one, I just finished a build on a 35 Whelen for mid range (super accurate 225 grain Accubonds @2800 fps) and last year a 300 Win Mag build for long range and elk/bears out there. Was looking to complement what I have on hand and was playing with a 25-06 and a 243 but found them lacking past 400-500 yards. Was looking towards a 257 bee with a twist to allow 130 grain bullets or a 264 Win Mag. Not interested in a wildcat, nor the flavor of the month 6.5 PRC or Weatherby version, a 140 @ 3000 is average and only matches what the old 6.5-06 does, not interested. A friend is shooting 140's out of his 264 @ 3300 with great success and I do like that. Cant help but think what the Weatherby would do with 130's @ maybe 3200+ fps? Thoughts?

Last edited:
My factory Ruger Hawkeye has 24 inch barrel 1:8 twist.. It shoots 5/8 5 shot group at 100 with H1000 an 143eld-x it's not super fast but decent 3050 FPS.. gonna try some Retumbo on my next load.

What is a "reasonable re load"? I don't think I ever heard the term before.
Oh you will know when your 264 needs a new barrel do to accuracy issues..top loads shouldn't be run all the time..other than that the 264 in my opinion is an all around hunting rifle..I've shot moos..elk..deer.. bighorn sheep black bear carabou..coastal brown bears..if it walks on this continent the 264 will take it down with proper bullet placement and type