250 gr 338 twist rate?

Optimal not sure. Berger list 1-11" for their 250, my 1-10" will shoot them, as well as 250 Accubonds.

It will shoot all the Accubonds including the 180, which I assume is way over stabilized.

Berger has a twist calculator on their site, if you have the inputs to see where it falls.

Your twist rate of 1:10" is actually err'ing on the fast side, just as this twist rate is in the 300 magnums.

Any 250gr will stabilise in your rifle with this twist rate. A 300gr will also be fine in this twist.

BTW:
Over-stabilisation is a myth!
A bullet is either stable or unstable, there is no grey area regarding this.
A bullet can be spun so fast that it is torn apart, but that is not the same as instability. It will be point on and not tumbling/yawing until bullet break-up.

I have witnessed this ONCE. A 125gr TNT HP out of a 300WM @ 3600+fps was a blue/grey streak from about 15ft from the muzzle, the target had NO HOLES, not even shrapnel.

Cheers.
:D

Thanks folks. With all that I've been reading about twist rates and bullet stabilization, I got lost. So now I know that it is fine, and if I get lost again, I can go to Berger, as well.
Gregg

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.