22-250 twist rate

RBrowning

Can anyone explain why the rifle manufacturers typically put a 1:12 twist on a 22-250 but will put a faster 1:8 twist on a 223 Rem? I know that the 22-250 was developed as a varmint rifle and as such usually uses 40-55 grain bullets just fine. But the 223 has been in use out to 6-800 yards with the heavier bullets in the 60-80 grain weight. There are even hunting style bullets available that I would think would benefit from the additional velocity of the 22-250 but probably won't stabilize because of the slower twist. Is a custom replacement barrel the only solution for using the heavier bullets in the 22-250?

Thanks for your insights.

All I can figure is varmint bullets at 22-250 velocities with a fast twist would cause them to come apart. I don't know of any factory fast twist 22-250, but I don't know as much as others on this site.

I'm sure someone will know this for certain but I think Savage makes a 22-250 in a 1-9. I'm not 100% positive though.

it is all about marketing.
The basic consumer uses the 22-250 for varmint hunting and the 40-50 grain bullets are real popular so most manufactures will put a 14" twist. Savage is one of the only ones to do a 12 twist and it is hard to get your hands on a 9 twist.

I don't think anyone actually makes anything heavier than 60 grain bullets for the 22-250 (factory loads)

223 is a millitary cartidge and many people use it for target shooting be it f class or what not. Heavier bullets work well for this so I believe you can actually purchase 69 grain bullets for the 223 from factory. Also, due to the speed you do need a little faster twist w/ the 223 over the 22-250 to handle the same projectile.

A rep from sierra told me that you really can not over rotate a bullet w/in reason. I believe that If your bore is in good condition you can shoot 50 grainers w/ ease w/ a 9" twist. I too wish more manufacturers would make 8 or 9 twist barrels. But the truth of the matter is that the bulk of consumers who love the 250 do so becase of it's speed w/ light pills.

Mark.

I have bean tossing around the idea of getting a savage 1 in 9 since they started making it. With the heavier bullets the 22-250 is impressive but I had not bean willing to consider one previously because of the lighter bullet restrictions of the factory barrels. I am glad to see someone in the industry responding to the will and opening the door of potential for some of these cartridges.

I had a savage 12fv in 22-250 that I screwed a McGowen 1-8 22-250 barrel. Cost about $300 to do it and couldn't have been happier. Should have never sold that rifle. I was sending 75gr VMax at 3100fps. Yes it was a laser. 500 yard prairie dogs were not a problem. I did get as high as 90gr SMKs in it, but they didn't explode the P-dogs well, kinda just went right through em...

I had a savage 12fv in 22-250 that I screwed a McGowen 1-8 22-250 barrel. Cost about $300 to do it and couldn't have been happier. Should have never sold that rifle. I was sending 75gr VMax at 3100fps. Yes it was a laser. 500 yard prairie dogs were not a problem. I did get as high as 90gr SMKs in it, but they didn't explode the P-dogs well, kinda just went right through em...

Any issues with 55 gr class bullets?

Yes Savage does make a 1:9 twist 22-250, I might add that they will sling an 80 grain A-max quite well .

Mike

My savage LRPV RBLP shoot the 70gr berger VLD's really well. I'm going to try some 36gr barns varmit granades just to see if they will come apart or not. If they don't I might play more.

I just got my .22-250 back from IT&G where I had it re-barreled to .22-250AI. I went with a 26 inch Douglas stainless, fluted barrel. I had a lot of people trying to talk me into a 1-8 twist barrel but went with a 1-12. I talked with the techs at Sierra and they said I'd be fine shooting the 65 grain bullet. Berger recommends a 1-12 for their 62 grain bullet. I shoot mostly 50 or 55grain bullets and I may eventually go to 62 - 65 grain bullet for whitetails. I guess it boils down to what you want to do with the rifle. Personally, I can't see the use in slinging an 80 grain bullet from a .22-250 because of the decrease in velocity. The .22-250 satisfies my need for speed. If I want to shoot a heavier bullet, I'll grab the .243 or a .25/06.

Just my humble opinion and I've been wrong at least one time in my life. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts