25 yr old brass..

KNOTFERSAIL

I have some 280 Remmy virgin brass that's bright and shinny but is 25 yr old...Does the brass get fragile over time?.. do i need to buy new brass?..My daughter gonna be hunt'n this fall with this gun (hopefully)...Yep she's a safe queen.

Going off memory load is....58gr imr 4831...120gr sierra.

Thanks..

I'm on the 5th reload with 1954 30-06 brass for my Tikka. It still holds a primer and sub MOA.
I do however chuck any range picked brass that is dark tarnished into the scrap bin. It has proven to be very brittle! The sun and weather must do bad things to it besides turning it brown.

Knot, if you're sure the brass is only 25 yrs it should be good. I've seen very much older brass than that which shot fine and some with the old type primers still in them which had corroded the primer pocket a lot. Just check the spec on the pockets to be safe. Good luck

Last edited:
Thanks for the wisdom gents..

I don't expect any issue's with brass the but thought i'd ask the pro's.
I'm the "original owner" of the brass 25 christmases ago.

Hmmmm, 2016 - 1966 = 50 years. This 270 Win brass (Winchester) has been shot for 35 years with a long lay off and was reloaded for a ladder test yesterday. Me thinks it's gonna be fine.

You'll little or no problems, I'd say.

Well, the crystaline structure of brass does change with age and not for the better either, thats a fact of metalurgy.

What that age is and how much it changes, I don't know.

Heck, I'd go with it too.

Worst could happen is it blows up in your face.....:D

Worst could happen is it blows up in your face.....:D

Just finished firing 4 of them. Would have kept going but got to where the bolt on an ancient Rem 721 was carpel tunnel syndrome hard to open. And nope nothing blew up in my face.

However, did learn that headspace is a bit on the large side....:rolleyes:

Just finished firing 4 of them. Would have kept going but got to where the bolt on an ancient Rem 721 was carpel tunnel syndrome hard to open. And nope nothing blew up in my face.

However, did learn that headspace is a bit on the large side....:rolleyes:

Roy.....

Time to bump eh?....:D

I stated that with a bit of humor about blowing up.......

at our age we don't need no issues.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.