Old Herters brass

bitbythebug

I found 4 boxes of new Herters brass, going through my fathers basement after he died, that I know was bought in the early 60's. It is in the original boxes and they are all like new. Are they collectible or are the just old brass. They are 30-06. Is it as good as quality brass today or not? Would appreciate any knowledgeable responses. It is darker than standard brass today. It polishes up fine because I have used several other boxes of it.

Not sure if it's rare or worth money, but good brass is always worth something...Even if it's only worth what any other box of brass is. :cool:

Probably more than 50 yrs old. I have a box of Herters .270 in my cellar, but I don't think it is collectible. S;hoot it up.

I didn't really care if it was collectible but wondering if it is as good of quality as today's brass. I weighed some of it and found it to not be very consistent. However, I bought some new Winchester brass and found it to be very consistent weight wise and the flash holes were clean. I was blown away (unintentional bad pun). I had no idea Winchester brass was this good. Why is it considered inferior to Lapua and Norma brass? It must be for different reasons.

I.have a bunch of it in 338 win mag .It fell behind my three ton loading.bench..I.need to.get it.out.and load it.too !

back in the mid 90's I was loading about anything I could stuff a 165 and 4350 into for '06 brass. some of it was herters and s&w brass. both were just fine.

As to the comment on win brass... I've never stopped using it. it's pretty much all I have for 300win...

back in the mid 90's I was loading about anything I could stuff a 165 and 4350 into for '06 brass. some of it was herters and s&w brass. both were just fine.

As to the comment on win brass... I've never stopped using it. it's pretty much all I have for 300win...

I use Win brass exclusively for my .25-06 AI, and I still have that 50 pack of brand new Win 7mmRM brass I got from you in the ammo can sealed up for a rainy day. :D And somebody on another forum sold me a bunch of once-fired Win 7mmRM brass (I think for $20 shipped) because his old room mate left it when he moved out, and he didn't need it. His loss, my gain. I cleaned it all up, and it's also stored away for a rainy day. :cool:

Nothing wrong with Winchester brass, IMO... Although I primarily only use Lapua and Nosler for my precision and hunting loads, with the exception of the .25-06 AI.

I use Win brass exclusively for my .25-06 AI, and I still have that 50 pack of brand new Win 7mmRM brass I got from you in the ammo can sealed up for a rainy day. :D And somebody on another forum sold me a bunch of once-fired Win 7mmRM brass (I think for $20 shipped) because his old room mate left it when he moved out, and he didn't need it. His loss, my gain. I cleaned it all up, and it's also stored away for a rainy day. :cool:

Nothing wrong with Winchester brass, IMO... Although I primarily only use Lapua and Nosler for my precision and hunting loads, with the exception of the .25-06 AI.
I've never really bothered to go with nos or lapua brass... I have some nos for my 300rum(s), and my rem brass does as well. I got lucky and scored a bag of fresh remmy 300rum brass the other day that had been returned to a lgs. I now should have enough to shoot out both of my 300rum bbl's on current brass...

As to the question at hand, I'm rather sure in one of my family's brass stashes we still have the Herters brass I mentioned. I should dig up the old brass for my current '06. I've come full circle on that cartridge and will prolly keep this '06...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.