25-06 Rem

Land Rover

Hi Guys

I shot my P17- 25 06 and Tikka T3 25-06 through the chrony yesterday and was blown away by the results.

117 gr Federal Factory Ammo ave 2985 fps Tikka.
117 gr Federal Factory Ammo ave 3180 fps P17.

117gr Prohunters re-loads ave 3018 fps Tikka.
117gr Prohunters re-loads ave 3200 fps P17.

75gr V-Max re-loads ave 3719 fps Tikka.
75gr V-Max re-loads ave 4056 fps P17.

All were the same loads for both rifles.
No pressure signs that I could see.
Just thought you might be interested.

Some barrels are faster and some slower... Just means you got an average barrel on the Tikka and a fast barrel on the P17.

What's a P17?

During WW1 the USA made P14 Enfield pattern 1914 rifles for Brittian.
Then the USA came into the war and as they already had three tooling plants for the P14,
it was easier to change them to 30 06 and called them the M17 Model 1917, but it is more commonly called the P17 (here in New Zealand anyway). They are very strong actions and great for Custom Magnum builds. My local gunsmith has a very accurate P14 300Win mag.
From what I understand more USA troops had M17 rifles than Springfields in WW1 (and WW2?)
So because my P17 was already 30 06, it was easy to add a new .257 barrel and re-chamber to 25 06. Bolt and magazine didn't require any changes.

Yeah, I was just surprised at the high velocities for a 25 06.

You should punch the P17 barrel out to .25-06 AI 40º... You would have some REALLY good velocities. Probably could equal a .257 Weatherby, but with about 10-14 grains LESS powder than the Weatherby. :D

I love my .25-06 AI. It's only around 100 fps slower than my .257 Wby was, but it's so much nicer to shoot and reload for. Not temperamental at all, and shoots just about everything well...Even my fire-forming loads were shooting 3/4-1 MOA on average.

I agree with MudRunner on the AI. I have had one for years and they are so nice to shoot. 115 Berger at 3350 fps isn't to shabby either.

If your Enfield is shooting well, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. The extra few percent case capacity is not worth it. If you want an AI then shoot your 25 out and build a 280AI next time. That one has a bit longer throat too and acts more like a 7rem in most rifles than a 280... It'll get you up a few grains in bullet weight (from your 25 cal.) too...

30-50 fps per inch is a good rule for more barrel length; looks like the Enfield is on the top end of that.

It should be noted that all the Enfield actions aren't equal as for strength.
While the Remington and Winchester versions are well suited for magnum cartridges,
the Eddystone version is not.

It should be noted that all the Enfield actions aren't equal as for strength.
While the Remington and Winchester versions are well suited for magnum cartridges,
the Eddystone version is not.

Yeah, I've heard that said before. Not sure if there is any truth in that or not?. It would be nice to know why the Eddystone is not as strong, is there any fact to the matter?. Or is it just a misinformed statement passed on over the last 100 years as truth (could be a good one for myth busters!). With an action that old, it would pay to get the steel tested anyway if looking at a magnum conversion.

If your Enfield is shooting well, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. The extra few percent case capacity is not worth it. If you want an AI then shoot your 25 out and build a 280AI next time. That one has a bit longer throat too and acts more like a 7rem in most rifles than a 280... It'll get you up a few grains in bullet weight (from your 25 cal.) too...

30-50 fps per inch is a good rule for more barrel length; looks like the Enfield is on the top end of that.

Yep, I'm more than happy with how it shoots at the moment. Just a little concerned it's shooting too well with the 75 gr V-max. No pressure signs but might have to back it off a wee bit, 4050 fps seems extremely fast to me for a 25 06, or any rifle for that matter.
Hopefully someone in the know can chip in about it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.