Rem 25-06

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
I remembered you were interested in if i had figured anything out on the BC of the 125gr ULD's. I shot this last sunday with BJ Bailey and another buddy of ours at his personnal range. He has gongs at 500--650--760 yds. BJ was shooting his 300 RUM with the 240gr SMK at 2850fps, when he shot the gong at 500yds we were all amazed at the massive WHACK it delivered. After Bj was done I stepped up with my little savage 25-06 with the 125gr loaded somewhere between 3100 and 3200fps.
When I connected with the gong on my second shot our buddy, who couldnt see who was shooting, asked BJ why his 300RUM got so much quiter. THe whack my little 125gr bullet delivered was nearly equal in sound to the one heard from the RUM and the massive 240gr brick!!!

On closer inspection on the gong the splashes from the 300 and the 25-06 were nearly identical, the little sucker has a lot of thump for no more powder than is in it.

AS for the BC I could only shoot it out to 760yds but it took 15.75 MOA to score hits and at nearly 3200fps this would put the bc around .550 to pushing .600

**** nice little bullet

take it easy
steve

Lerch I used to do a heck of a lot a practice with my 25-06 and .308 (M-14) at the rifle range. I relied almost entirely on the 25-06 for my whitetail deer hunting and predator/varmint hunting. The 120 grain bullets I have handloaded, I am positive would be enough for any bull elk within say 250 yards.

Lerch

Thanks for the reminder. I was hoping to see what kinda figures you would get. Those 125's sure are nice bullets. I want to try some of the 140g's for my .270. That'll have to wait though. Your BC is a little higher then what I found mine to be, but your also pushing them 200fps faster. Do you think that has anything to do with the added BC?? I also only shot mine on paper out to 525 yards. I started with a .575 BC and I was hitting about 4" low, I figured with a BC of .515, and my bullets were then hitting right on for elevation. I wished I could have shot them out to 800 or so, but I did'nt at the time. I shot a coyote with them at 600 though. Our BC's aren't that far from each other though, its one of the better .257" bullets, thats for dang sure. It sure does pack a little thump to 500 yards as well, like you say. It hit my rocks with some authority as well. I would trust a 25-06 on a spike or cow out to say 400-500 yards, given a perfect broadside shot. Followed up by a quick 2nd. I have no doubts it will bring them down fairly easily. Now a big 6x6 is totally different, thats where the 300 RUM and 200g AB comes into play. Thanks for the review Lerch, much appreciated.

I wish we would have taken some pics of the spashes. The only difference was in the diameter. The 25 went just as deep, just didn't have as much circumference!!!

I am sure BC is affected by the speed. LIke I said I am not for sure exactly what speed these little suckers are going at. It was so windy that day our chrono wouldnt stand up so I never shot over it. When I tried to figure the drop at 3100fps I would of had to have been shooting a bullet with a bc around .7 which I know isnt right.

When I adjusted the velo to around 3200fps the numbers started to match better. Will need to launch them out to 1k and 1500yds to get a real good idea.

Aint got no elk round here but they should smack the crap out of our paper thin whitetails!!!!!!!

take it easy
steve

Lerch, according to the drop that I saw, I would say your
BC is very close to what I had figured, though before our
Wyoming trip the testing was not very detailed, I spent most
of my limited time working up the load with a good balance of velocity &amp; accuracy, which was 1/4"-.35" (3 shot) &amp; 3,250
FPS in our Kirby enhanced 25-06AI Sendero's. The Antelope &amp; Mule Deer did not gripe &amp; we were pleased with the terminal results to say the least.
Thanks for the report!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.