25-06 opinions??

muleythumper

I am looking for a lot of feedback on the 25-06. Such as, what is the max range for mule deer? What is the prospect of using it for elk hunting? What is the best bullet for hunting? Etc..... The more feedback, the better!

Thanks!

It's a great cartridge, but it's not ideal for LR shooting/hunting. The bullet selection in .257" is seriously hamstrung compared to other calibers. The max range for mule deer would be the farthest that you can accurately put a bullet in the vitals, assuming the bullet still has adequate velocity to expand on impact. It can certainly be used for elk hunting, although it may not be the ideal rifle for elk. The bullets that I've found most effective for hunting are the 100gr TTSX for sub-400 yard shooting, and beyond that I like the 115gr VLD.

Its a 270 win. with a little less kick & a little less WHAP.same drop. elk?? Ask yourself is enough enough. 25 06 I want one!!!! whitetails are not that hard to kill.-- elk ? 270 win. or wsm.

The 25-06 is an awesome cartridge. I would not hesitate to pull the trigger on a mule deer or antelope out to 600 yards with the 115 gr Berger. I myself would not use it on elk but if it was placed in the right spot then it would kill an elk.

I will be using the 115 gr berger out of the 25-06 this fall to shoot an antelope. Its a great rifle.

My absolute favorite cartridge for the past 20 years. I currently shoot 115gr Berger reloads out of it at 3,092 FPS and every Mule Deer/Coues Deer and Antelope has died with one well placed shot. Last year I killed my Coues Deer at 612 yards.

I like the 115 vld right now in my 25-06. There are several good antelope-deer sized game bullets in 25 cal. If I had to hunt elk with my 25-06, I'd probably go with a 100 grain barnes or swift scirocco. At 3400 fps out of my 26" barrel it could take elk with a good shot angle to 400 yards or a little more if I had too. A 270, 280, or 30-06 are all progressively better elk cartridges on the 06 case. For deer and antelope out to 700 yards the 25 will do the job if the wind isn't too bad.

I love mine. I too am shooing the 115 VLD's. I'm chucking them around 3155 fps. They are bad medicine! I would take deer to 600 without thinking twice. For elk I would grab a bigger caliber.

Not too long ago there was a thread and survey about how far away you could shoot a elk w/ the 25-06. Lots of folks didn't like the idea of using them. They are plenty light for elk, but w/ good bullets it can certainly be done. Keep in mind that shot angles are more limited. A hole through the heart/lungs and the elk will die. Just better if they don't go 1/2 mile before they do so. A bull elk is a big animal and I wouldn't suggest a boderline shot.
One of my friends has killed over 60 elk, mostly w/ a .270 and 130 gr bullets. The .25 is not too far behind it. If going for elk look at a 120 gr partition. It will give you good penetration. Also the Barnes bullets would be good choices. I'd likely limit my shots to 300 or so yards.
Great caliber for deer and antelope. Wish there were a few more bullets to choose from. Bruce

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.