243w and 300wm long range accuracy

Methow Packer

Wondering. You have a .243 105 gr bullet with a BC of .543 shooting against a .300 WM 185 gr bullet with a BC of .549 both running @ 3050 fps. Both similar in BC would these cartridges be capable of the same accuracy? Will the heavier bullet win even though they both have similar BC. Example a 1000yard shot with a ten MPH wind. Can these two cartridges shoot similar groups?

A ballistic calculator is one way to fine an answer. I ran those numbers and it looks like the .243 would have 1/100th second longer flight time and 1 inch more wind drift. So the .243 is a little more susceptible to wind drift. And since wind is a constantly changing parameter, the .243 would be slightly more difficult to keep the groups tight. Theoretically anyway.

Biggest factor here would be the inherent accuracy of the rifle and shooter.

Thanks. You answered my question. Not too much of a difference. I didn't know if the actual weight of the bullet would make a lot of difference even though the BC was close. I'll just have to try them both out.. Obviously the 243 isn't much of a deer cartridge at 1000 yards but sure will be fun at 500-600 on deer and on coyotes .

Thanks for your response

Obviously the 243 isn't much of a deer cartridge at 1000 yards but sure will be fun at 500-600 on deer and on coyotes .

For sure!gun)

I have a .243 that shoots the 105 Amax pretty well.

Ever thought of trying the Berger 210 VLD or 215 Hybrid in the 300 WM? They have G1 BCs of .631 and .696 respectively. They will turn that 300 WM into a 1000 yard deer/elk cartridge. They will buck the wind better than about anything out there.

The .300 Win mag has the best ballistics with the Berger 230 gr. Tactical hybrid bullets.

It stays supersonic longer, has less wind drift and more retained velocity than any other .30 caliber bullet available (except the slightly longer 230 gr. Berger Tactical, a full-on target bullet that likely won't run through many magazines due to its OAL).

I am shooting a 243ai 105gr. Berger hybrids @3350fps and is one on the most accurate guns I have. 1200 yards I out shoot all my buddies with big magnum calibers, hardly any recoil so it's a blast to shoot.

after going to 243's with 1/8 and 1/7 twist barrels, shooting 105 to 115 grain bullets - I sold my 300 win mag, don't miss the recoil at all. by the way, I took a coyote last winter at just over 1230 yards with the 243.

Your buddies must not have your shooting skills. I own a 243AI and 300WM. On a calm day they are close. Factor in wind though, and the 300WM walks all over the 243AI.

6mm and 6.5mm calibers dominate precision rifle competitions for good reasons.

I am shooting a 243ai 105gr. Berger hybrids @3350fps and is one on the most accurate guns I have. 1200 yards I out shoot all my buddies with big magnum calibers, hardly any recoil so it's a blast to shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.