Remington long range rifle accuracy??

Goobie270

I am looking at buying the remington 700 long range rifle and would like to know what everyone's thoughts are on this rifle as far as accuracy and overall quality. Thanks

I bought one in a 30-06 last May.I really like it.I think it's a bargain for the price.It is a lot like the old Remington Sendero with a better stock.I have to say,I really like the B&C much better than the HS stock.It has an aluminum bedding block just like the HS,but it fits me better.Mine shoots tiny groups under an inch with my handloads.I'd buy another.

I bought one in a 30-06 last May.I really like it.I think it's a bargain for the price.It is a lot like the old Remington Sendero with a better stock.I have to say,I really like the B&C much better than the HS stock.It has an aluminum bedding block just like the HS,but it fits me better.Mine shoots tiny groups under an inch with my handloads.I'd buy another.

Ok thanks, that's a nice rifle!, I was also wondering about the 5r milspec, I can't decide on the two, I know every rifle is different, but I'm hoping to buy the more accurate of the two, or has a better chance of accuracy.

I know this year they came out with a stainless version as well. I was in cabelas the other day and was looking at a few of them. Did the stock change from the first LR guns that was first released by remington. I had thought the stock was like the old sendero without the large palm swell and more of a rounded bottom on the fore end. The ones I seen the other day was more square on the bottom of the fore end and had a large palm swell like the sendero 2. So it left me somewhat confused. I currently own the sendero 2 in 300Rum.

Had a friend buy one in 7 RM and he says it shoots 5/8" with his hand loads. My SPS with B&C stock and Timmy trigger doesn't shoot quite as well so I'm wondering if the heavier barrel is giving him better accuracy or if his barrel was just better than mine. If you don't mind packing the weight, I would get one on sale vs an SPS.

Bought one about a year ago. .300 WM. Neither Broz or I could get better than 1 1/2 inch groups at the best. Usually 1 3/4 to 2 1/4''. Sent it to Bigngreen. He said the barrel would make a great "tomato stake". Put a new barrel on and it gets to 5/8 inch or less at around 2985 with a 215 Berger. If you get one, be prepared for the possibility of needing to put on a new barrel.... At least for long range. That accuracy is fine for under 200 yds..... Might be good and might not. Bruce

:D
Bought one about a year ago. .300 WM. Neither Broz or I could get better than 1 1/2 inch groups at the best. Usually 1 3/4 to 2 1/4''. Sent it to Bigngreen. He said the barrel would make a great "tomato stake". Put a new barrel on and it gets to 5/8 inch or less at around 2985 with a 215 Berger. If you get one, be prepared for the possibility of needing to put on a new barrel.... At least for long range. That accuracy is fine for under 200 yds..... Might be good and might not. Bruce

This is why I personally won't be using factory barrels anymore. It's hit or miss and after $150 of ammo down the barrel to figure it out, I could have put that into a aftermarket one. Funny, I've heard the "tomato stake" line too:D

All factory barrels are potential tomato stakes. This is why I buy junk Savages and screw on a REAL barrel instead of hoping for the best with a factory tube. Even a good shooting factory barrel isn't the same as a real barrel. I hate the feel of a patch in a factory barrel, like jamming a marshmallow in a piggy bank.
IDK why anyone would buy a high end factory rig. The barrel is still a tent stake. With barrels I buy once cry once.

I bought mine a couple years ago and it has been a headache. Could never get consistent groups much better than 3/4" at 100 yards. This isn't terrible for a factory rifle, but I prefer 1/2 MOA or better in my rifles. I am currently in the process of rebarreling it with a Bartlein. The factory threads on the barrel were flat on the tops and were poorly made, the recoil lug also fit terrible on the barrel and flopped around on it. These rifles are not equal to a custom but with handloads they will normally shoot under an inch, and if that is good with you, it is a great rifle.

Ok thanks everyone for the input. Well I'm not really wanting to buy a new barrel after spending a lot of money on the gun.

What about the remington 700 milspec r5 accuracy?

Ok thanks everyone for the input. Well I'm not really wanting to buy a new barrel after spending a lot of money on the gun.

What about the remington 700 milspec r5 accuracy?

I've heard good things about them, but it still is a factory rifle. For the cost of the Mil-spec, you can buy a 700 Long Range and have a gunsmith fit a match grade barrel on it for $500 and have the same or a little more in it compared to the factory Mil-spec.

Ok thanks, that's a nice rifle!, I was also wondering about the 5r milspec, I can't decide on the two, I know every rifle is different, but I'm hoping to buy the more accurate of the two, or has a better chance of accuracy.

I have two 5R Milspecs (.308 Win & .300 WinMag)... They are beyond accurate. With handloads, the .308 Win shoots sub-1/4" groups at 100, if I do my part.

Thinking about ordering a 5R Gen2 in .260 Rem to add to the collection.

Had a friend buy one in 7 RM and he says it shoots 5/8" with his hand loads. My SPS with B&C stock and Timmy trigger doesn't shoot quite as well so I'm wondering if the heavier barrel is giving him better accuracy or if his barrel was just better than mine. If you don't mind packing the weight, I would get one on sale vs an SPS.

If both barrels are proven good, the heavy barrel will almost always be (even if only slightly) more accurate in heavier recoiling cartridges because the heavy barrel is more stiff and does not whip as bad. I'll always opt for a heavy barrel or magnum sporter (like a #4 Bartlein), over a standard sporter or mountain contour barrel any day of the week.

:D

This is why I personally won't be using factory barrels anymore. It's hit or miss and after $150 of ammo down the barrel to figure it out, I could have put that into a aftermarket one. Funny, I've heard the "tomato stake" line too:D

This goes for any brand rifle, even very high-priced ones...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.