Remington long range rifle accuracy??

Goobie270, here is some pictures of my 5R's, as per your request via PM...

24" .308 Win...

E5261E9E-ED3A-4552-A8B3-BF34F23A9FCD_zpsoyjzo2c2.jpg

26" .300 WinMag...

F7AB3B51-D769-4E12-9031-CA15F1991E1E_zpsps1gzmhs.jpg

I've got 4 of the R700 LR's. 2 in 300Wm, 1 in .30-06, and 1 in .25-06. I get 3 shots touching at 120 yards with all of them.

The only issue I've found is tight chambers on the .300s. After polishing the chambers, I've had zero issues with them.

I've got rem 700 lr also in 300 win mag. I got it right when they came out. Mine as been a constant 1/2 moa shooter out to 1000 yards when I do my part. Reloads or factory hornady's this gun is very consistent. Only mods I made were jewel trigger and Holland brake.

My two cents is if you get one good luck! I've tried to get three of them to shoot with no luck.
I got several 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups with all of them if I cherry picked out of several hundred rounds. But when I started really evaluating long range first shot performance all three of the *** fell apart!
Poi shifts, cold bore zero groups in the 3 MOA range and crazy *** ES spreads ..... No thanks!
They can have that hammer forged crap! They seem to be pop with the Internet 1/2 MOA crowd though.

My two cents is if you get one good luck! I've tried to get three of them to shoot with no luck.
I got several 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups with all of them if I cherry picked out of several hundred rounds. But when I started really evaluating long range first shot performance all three of the *** fell apart!
Poi shifts, cold bore zero groups in the 3 MOA range and crazy *** ES spreads ..... No thanks!
They can have that hammer forged crap! They seem to be pop with the Internet 1/2 MOA crowd though.
DUDE hammer forging is the best way to build a barrel, everyone on the interwebs knows that. It is after all how they make barrels in mud huts in Afghanistan. Rumor is that Kreiger is selling all of his cut rifling tooling and is gonna start building barrels with a 500 lb gorilla and a sledgehammer. Cheaper ya know.:)

DUDE hammer forging is the best way to build a barrel, everyone on the interwebs knows that. It is after all how they make barrels in mud huts in Afghanistan. Rumor is that Kreiger is selling all of his cut rifling tooling and is gonna start building barrels with a 500 lb gorilla and a sledgehammer. Cheaper ya know.:)

Yeah it must be good .... It is on the " LR " mod, must be the way to go, prob just needed some super duper long range ammo to go with it.
Actually those dudes in the huts make some crazy s--- man!
Prob better than some of the crap the big name brands turn out here
For the masses.

Yeah it must be good .... It is on the " LR " mod, must be the way to go, prob just needed some super duper long range ammo to go with it.
Actually those dudes in the huts make some crazy s--- man!
Prob better than some of the crap the big name brands turn out here
For the masses.
Totally amazing what a hammer and a few punches and a wood block can build. People forget that its how we used to make them here in the USA.

Well rafterfp I don't know what to tell you on your problem with your rifles but mine is nothing like that. Must of just got a good one I guess.

Well rafterfp I don't know what to tell you on your problem with your rifles but mine is nothing like that. Must of just got a good one I guess.

Not my rifles, I don't waste money on factory tubes. Congrats on yours man got a good one sounds like.

Not my rifles, I don't waste money on factory tubes. Congrats on yours man got a good one sounds like.
Amen. I can shoot a factory barrel. I can kill stuff with one. When it comes time to clean it though.....it makes me wanna hurl feeling a patch run thru a factory barrel. Feels like my wife trying to drive a stickshift.

Amen. I can shoot a factory barrel. I can kill stuff with one. When it comes time to clean it though.....it makes me wanna hurl feeling a patch run thru a factory barrel. Feels like my wife trying to drive a stickshift.

Both of my 5R's feel just like my high-dollar aftermarket cut-rifled 5R barrels inside. Slick and easy to clean. They clean up in a fraction of the time it takes any of my other factory barrels. Blew my mind. I was used to the standard 6-groove barrels. Don't even get me started on that Weatherby Accumark barrel I had that through a borescope looked like it had been rifled by ant-sized midgets with pickaxes... $2000 rifle, worst barrel I've ever cleaned.

Both of my 5R's feel just like my high-dollar aftermarket cut-rifled 5R barrels inside. Slick and easy to clean. They clean up in a fraction of the time it takes any of my other factory barrels. Blew my mind. I was used to the standard 6-groove barrels. Don't even get me started on that Weatherby Accumark barrel I had that through a borescope looked like it had been rifled by ant-sized midgets with pickaxes... $2000 rifle, worst barrel I've ever cleaned.

I love good barrel smoothness analogies. Ant sized midgets with pickaxes. Classic stuff.
I have actually had some DECENT factory tubes that I firelapped or lapped myself after I learned how.

I love good barrel smoothness analogies. Ant sized midgets with pickaxes. Classic stuff.
I have actually had some DECENT factory tubes that I firelapped or lapped myself after I learned how.

All of my semi-custom bolt-actions use worked-over and hand-lapped factory Remington barrels (most are 416r stainless heavy barrels), and none of them shoot over 5/8"...Most are 1/2" or better guns, but the 1 sporter barrel shoots 1/2-5/8" average, which for an under-500 gun, works just fine for deer. Factory barrels just need some TLC and they'll shoot. That being said, my two 5R Milspecs required no barrel work. The only thing I've done to them is trigger swaps.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.