243 action question

asdfghjkl

I have a remington 700 243 adl repeater and Im wanting to change the caliber. Mainly just to have something different because I have 2 other 243's. I was wondering if there was a way i can just change my barrel and change calibers that way or will their need to be gunsmithing required. If someone could just tell me a list of calibers that I can consider I would appreciate it

I have a remington 700 243 adl repeater and Im wanting to change the caliber. Mainly just to have something different because I have 2 other 243's. I was wondering if there was a way i can just change my barrel and change calibers that way or will their need to be gunsmithing required. If someone could just tell me a list of calibers that I can consider I would appreciate it

6.5 Creedmoore
7mm08
6.5-284
To name a few

Thank you for the response. If I did the 260 or 6.5x 284 do you know if their would be room in my magazine for caliber? Those 2 calibers I really like what Iv read about them.

The 6.5x284 will not work in a short action mag. The 260 should work for ya. You will probably need a gunsmith to install and headspace your new barrel for you.

.260 Rem would be the way to go unless you want to move to the .308. I'd stay with the .260 myself.

You do not want to try and do this for yourself. You can either order the barrel and have a competent gunsmith do the installation or send it in to Krieger, Lilja or one of the other top end barrel guys and get them to do it for you. For about 800.00 total, they will true your action and install a premium barrel and when you get it back it'll be ready to go to the range.

If you can find a new Rem takeoff in another short action chambering there is a possibility that the barrel will be headspaced properly. I have pulled used Rem barrels and installed new Rem takeoffs that headspaced perfectly with no alterations. Latest switches were in 7 Rem mag and 25-06.

There are many 7-08 takeoffs out there and it would be a perfect switch for your rig.

I have a barrel vise and the necessary go/no go gauges when I do this. If you don't have the ability to do it yourself your gunsmith can remove and install the barrels and check the headspace. You might just get lucky!

well 243 AI could be a real fun way to burn that barrel up without having to change the barrel to another caliber. Plus you already have the brass and bullet size. plus you can still shoot regular 243 in a pinch.

could you explain to me how I can change it to a 243 AI. Im drawing a blank on how to do that.
All it takes is a gunsmith with a reamer.

You then use your existing brass, reload it, blow the shoulders out in fireforming it and add a little case capacity and have a little more efficient case giving you reduced throat erosion and slightly higher velocities.

Personally if I wanted to stay with the same projectile I'd just have it reamed out to 6mm Rem.

The .260 however will give you better performance with higher BC bullets and better barrel life. Going to the .260 though does require a new barrel.

Personally if I wanted to stay with the same projectile I'd just have it reamed out to 6mm Rem.

I'm not sure the 6mm Remington will clean up the .243 chamber, the .244/6mm AI will and would be my choice. The .243 AI would require setting the barrel back a turn.

The 6.5/.284 will work on a short action, you just can't seat the longer bullets out as far and still use the magazine. Don't forget the plain vanilla .284 Winchester either.

Bob

I'm not sure the 6mm Remington will clean up the .243 chamber, the .244/6mm AI will and would be my choice. The .243 AI would require setting the barrel back a turn.

The 6.5/.284 will work on a short action, you just can't seat the longer bullets out as far and still use the magazine. Don't forget the plain vanilla .284 Winchester either.

Bob
I'm not either. Of course, that's why God gave us Gunsmiths!

That's several calibers to think about. What would yal suggest. I'm just wanting to shoot eggs at 300 maybe 400 yards and the gun still light enough so I can hunt coyotes with it. Of that's even possible

That's several calibers to think about. What would yal suggest. I'm just wanting to shoot eggs at 300 maybe 400 yards and the gun still light enough so I can hunt coyotes with it. Of that's even possible
Talk to a good gunsmith and see if you can open up the chamber for a 6mm Rem.

If the throat is gone to the point where rebarreling is necessary then I'd say either the 6mm Rem or .260 would be my choices.

Of course the .220 swift is a fantastic choice for small targets at that range and is a devastating round for prairie dogs and coyotes and I've shot a pile of deer with mine out to 350yds.

I'm leaning toward the 260. But I have read some about the 6x284. I do not know if that is possible with my action or if that caliber is as good as I have read either. Also Wildrose would you mind telling me who does your gun smithing or who you would recommend. I've used several and not completely liked any of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.