243 action question

I'm leaning toward the 260. But I have read some about the 6x284. I do not know if that is possible with my action or if that caliber is as good as I have read either. Also Wildrose would you mind telling me who does your gun smithing or who you would recommend. I've used several and not completely liked any of them.
I do most of my own. We used to have a good gunsmith here in town but he went blind in one eye and has retired as a result.

There is one guy I'll trust with mine for things I can't do without a lathe and mill here locally in Breckenridge Texas named Jimmy Mitchell. In fact I'm going to have him install several brakes for me this month on four different rifles.

Any of our forum sponsors will treat you right as well.

Personally if I were going with a 6mm of any sort it would be the 6mm Rem. I don't like wildcats because sooner or later you end up having trouble getting components or reloading equipment, or be off on the trip of a lifetime and unable to get ammo.

The latter is why I own 300wm's. No matter what happens or where I go I can get ammo for that caliber within 24 hrs should I get separated from my own.

The .260 is rapidly becoming as easy to get ammo for.

The 6mm Rem isn't quite as easy, but then I'd never take it off on such a trip anyhow.

The .260 Rem though is pretty much the Toyota Landcruiser of short action calibers. There's really not much of anything other than big bears I'd be afraid to try and take with one.

The 6.5-.284 is a great caliber but on a short action you are so limited on seating depth that if you want a repeater you can't take advantage of the case capacity and heavier bullets and it's performance over the .260 doesn't amount to much anyhow. I'd like to own one but already having .260 and .264wm I really have no need.

could you explain to me how I can change it to a 243 AI. Im drawing a blank on how to do that.

I really like the 260, but most Gunsmiths these days give you little to no credit on trading in your 243 barrel.

You can search the interweb for reamer rental .com where you can rent a ton of chamber reamers and ideas. Mild to Wild.

You can either learn to ream it yourself or take your reamer to machine-gunshop to finish the work. But check ahead with the shop.

Usually if you get a cartridge not available to the gunsmith...well you just bought him a new reamer!

If pick the newer designed 6.5 creed over a 260 as the case shoulder design is better for barrel life and the factory hornady ammo is inexpensive and shoots great and that's from experience and a lot of other shooters. Ballistics are great too

If pick the newer designed 6.5 creed over a 260 as the case shoulder design is better for barrel life and the factory hornady ammo is inexpensive and shoots great and that's from experience and a lot of other shooters. Ballistics are great too
Barrel life is not an issue with the .260 and there's a boat load of cheap quality ammo to feed them right off the shelf. I'm at over 2,500rds in my .260 with no loss of accuracy at all.

If one is serious about precision shooting they will be reloading anyhow and the extra velocity offered by the .260 is well worth it.

Barrel life is not an issue with the .260 and there's a boat load of cheap quality ammo to feed them right off the shelf. I'm at over 2,500rds in my .260 with no loss of accuracy at all.

If one is serious about precision shooting they will be reloading anyhow and the extra velocity offered by the .260 is well worth it.

X2. Although, if you so choose, to stay with the 6MM and also rebarrel I would suggest an 7.5 Twist in 6MM CM. This is a .243 Win with a blown out shoulder to 31* and minimal body taper using unfired Win brass (I'd use Lapua) and fire forming and trimmed to 2.035". Very accurate fireforming loads can be had using 105 Berger VLDs, and after switch to 115 DTACS to do some damage on some pesky critters. Barrel life from 3500-4000 rounds 'nough said.

Although if you want to step up to serious heavy hitting pm me and I will share some serious RUM banter.

P.S. WildRose knows what he's speaking about, just saying.

Reuben

X2. Although, if you so choose, to stay with the 6MM and also rebarrel I would suggest an 7.5 Twist in 6MM CM. This is a .243 Win with a blown out shoulder to 31* and minimal body taper using unfired Win brass (I'd use Lapua) and fire forming and trimmed to 2.035". Very accurate fireforming loads can be had using 105 Berger VLDs, and after switch to 115 DTACS to do some damage on some pesky critters. Barrel life from 3500-4000 rounds 'nough said.

Although if you want to step up to serious heavy hitting pm me and I will share some serious RUM banter.

P.S. WildRose knows what he's speaking about, just saying.

Reuben
When someone mentions "Rum" and varmint hunting even in passing I have to chuckle and think back on this thread.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/well-deer-hunt-didnt-go-planned-but-81516/

To date this is still the largest bobcat my taxidermist has ever seen and he mounts about fifty each year on average.

4170d1322543588t-well-deer-hunt-didnt-go-planned-but-1-100yds-bobcat.jpg

When someone mentions "Rum" and varmint hunting even in passing I have to chuckle and think back on this thread.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/well-deer-hunt-didnt-go-planned-but-81516/

To date this is still the largest bobcat my taxidermist has ever seen and he mounts about fifty each year on average.

4170d1322543588t-well-deer-hunt-didnt-go-planned-but-1-100yds-bobcat.jpg

I have my work cut out when I become registered. Nice cat WildRose, a bear is in order; just sayin'. Isn't it about bedtime in the "1/3 sized state" just sayin' for giggles.

Reuben

I have my work cut out when I become registered. Nice cat WildRose, a bear is in order; just sayin'. Isn't it about bedtime in the "1/3 sized state" just sayin' for giggles.

Reuben
I haven't slept on anything remotely resembling a normal human schedule for decades. Add to that still recovering from three surgeries in the last four months and I've turned into an insomniac x 2 x 3... .

Yes, that little kitty would look even better with a big bear standing beside him or stretched out on the wall!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.