243/6mm rifle build...thoughts?

If you want to shoot the heavies and also want factory ammo as an option go with the 6CM. If you don't care about factory ammo availability then a fast twist (say 7.7 or 7.5) .243 throated long will be great and let you continue to use the dies and brass you already have.

Look at the 6XC. Peterson brass large or small primer, dies, reamers, 115 DTACs.
All at more than competitive pricing.

I am surprised this one doesn't get more love in general though, it doesn't have the name cliche of a CM, Nosler, Winchester, Remington, <insert vendor name here>, ...

There are a lot of really good 6mm/243 options of you also look at the BR options.

I just built a 243 on a Savage target action with a 30 inch 1 in 7 twist barrel. I'm pushing the 115 nosler rdf and the 112 barnes matchburners burners at 3050 fps. The bc on both are close to .643 on both. I have shot it out to 1500 and still been very accurate. With the 30 inch barrel no ackley is needed. It may be the most accurate rifle I've owned out to 1500. Shooting the highest bc and heaviest bullets for the caliber. I'm using lapua brass superperformance powder and like I said accurate accurate accurate!!!

I just built a 243 on a Savage target action with a 30 inch 1 in 7 twist barrel. I'm pushing the 115 nosler rdf and the 112 barnes matchburners burners at 3050 fps. The bc on both are close to .643 on both. I have shot it out to 1500 and still been very accurate. With the 30 inch barrel no ackley is needed. It may be the most accurate rifle I've owned out to 1500. Shooting the highest bc and heaviest bullets for the caliber. I'm using lapua brass superperformance powder and like I said accurate accurate accurate!!!
The beauty of going AI in 243W is the longer throat life.......and the extra speed potential doesn't hurt either.
YMMV

While I would say go 6CM, I did in a MPA build and I freaking love this rifle. Also it's not the MAN BUN THE 6.5 CM IS as its just a fantastic round.
But I agree with some others just rebarrel to a faster 1.7 twist and be done or AI that 243 and use your same brass that you accumulated.
But man you are really missing out on a superlative 6mm in the CM. I love mine to death.

Best of luck

Drop table for 30 inch 243 3050 fps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230620-081446_Shooter.jpg
    Screenshot_20230620-081446_Shooter.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 70
Hello everyone! I'm thinking ahead a bit, but I'm considering a 6mm build in the next couple of years. I will preface this discussion with the fact that I will be building the rifle on a Remington 700 action in 243 Win. I have shot thousands of rounds out of this rifle, and it is my favorite gun. Period. I've killed prairie dogs, varmints, coyotes, deer, and antelope with it. Shot paper, steel, shotgun shell hulls, and coins with it. The thing has always been a tack driver, and I ❤️❤️❤️ it!

Anyway, my only complaint about the gun, being a factory rifle in 1-9.5 twist, is that I could not stabilize anything heavier than 95 gr pills out of it. Groing in the long range game, I've found myself leaving the gun in the cabinet in favor of my 7mm Rem mag and 308 Win.

I'm torn about what cartridge to focus on for a new build. All would have a 28 inch barrel with a 1-7" twist.

Pros - I already have a love for the chambering, I have the dies, brass, etc.
Cons - you cannot let the heavier bullets out as much (COL) as I might want to.

6CM
Pros - There are components, specifically brass, available. There is more room to seat bullets out in the short action mags.
Cons - I'd have to buy new brass and dies. I will also be honest that I don't want to become part of the CM fan Boyz 😝 I like my older cartridges.

6 GT
Pros - From everything I've read, you get more for less. The same velocity, less powder, less recoil. The chambering looks exceptionally efficient! I can let my seating depth out even more than the CM.
Cons - finding brass looks to be a pain in the ***, and again I'd have to get new dies. It doesn't hurt my pride as much as becoming a fan boy, but switching still hurts my pride a bit.

Those are my thoughts. I'd love to hear what y'all think. Thanks in advance!

If you need more than 26" to get your velocity, you are really running the wrong cartridge in most cases. Ignore if you are shooting past 1,000 yards regularly or if you are shooting PRS competitively.

Recent Posts