224 barrel with 10 or i i twist and 5r

Grim Reaper

I'm sure plenty of people have had experience with medium twist barrels in hot 22s.Mine is a 22 cheetah mk2 with a hart 14 twist.I was interested in rebarreling to a faster twist but not to wreck my smaller weight bullets just to sweeten it up at longer ranges and be more versatile. I never have used small rifle primers so I guess it isn't a real cheetah but I didn't want the hassles of ignition that plagues the performance of them.I'm not really interested in the 69 70 or bigger bullets at the expense of crow busting 55s moving at 4100 or better.Could yall tell me what you have tried??

My 5.56 AR's use 1:7 twist barrels, and shoot 55r bullets at 3,200-3,300 fps with no problems.

What is your max weight bullet you want to shoot? That would help to determine what twist you should go with.

Probably the 55 barnes for the kids to shoot deer with or the 60 partition.I know it has always been on the verge of instability and the berger twist rate calculator agrees.The old 53 flat base x would shoot about 1.25 at 200 and just a little extra length on the triple shocks went to 6 inches even at 4100.The thing I wanted to do is spin em more but not all the way to a 9 twist but I haven't saw many people on here using a 10 or 11 much at all and it looks like either one or a 10.5 might be ideal.I do my own threading and chamber ing and I don't think I want to do it just to go to a 12.Conventional cup and core varmint bullets of 60 or 65 would be big enough

I bet the 22 284 shoots lights out with that combo.If you don't mind me asking what powder does it like?And is it a 5r or 4 groove .I had heard that slow twists in some short bearing surface bullets don't work well with 5r and I know it's not that big of a deal just don't wanna make a stupid mistake.

Shoots a ragged one hole group at 100 yds if I do my part. I believe it is a 4 grove. I started with R25 and now am shooting N570. Both shot equally well and very similar in speed.

I have another wildcat I have been plating with for years and I used rl25 in it since it came out.Early this summer I switched to vv165 and love it.I have a long thread about it on here under my name about 165 matrix.Thanks for the info .

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.