6.5 Creedmore with a 10 twist barrel

Apologies if this has already been said, but have him take it back to the gunsmith he traded the 2 rifles for to get it and see if he will make it right. Otherwise if all scope action screws etc etc has been gone over, I'd quit what may be a total waste of components powder etc and just re-barrel. I couldn't live with myself trading it off and saddling someone else with that problem.

The ship has sailed for talking to the guy who put the barrel on rifle. Will not communicate with him now. The guy is not a gunsmith. They really clean his plow from the start. Have some 100 grain bullets coming in and will see what happens. About ready to hang this project up. Would help with a new barrel but don't want to have $800 in a rifle that I don't own. Thanks for all advice so far.

Hope those 100's work for you. You are a **** good friend to have helped as much as you already have...

He is not going to get a 143gr ELDx to stabilize properly in a 10" twist... Period... He's either got to be happy with 3" groups or go to a shorter bullet. I haven't run it through a stability calculator but I suspect even the 125gr XP is marginal in its stability. Try some shorter bullets, maybe a 120gr Sierra Pro Hunter. At 200 yards, the high BC of the ELDx is going to gain virtually nothing over a lower BC bullet, but the higher velocity of the 120gr will help on a short range point and shoot rig.

John
THIS,.. ^^^^ there's your, ANSWER ! The 120 Pro Hunter, Sierra, should shoot, very well and Kill chit just fine,.. to 200-300 yards ! Might find yourself, a REASONABLY priced, competent, Gunsmith to remove barrel, cut off a tiny bit and re-chamber, to "true it up" then load,.. the Pro Hunters !

Last edited:
Well it looks like the stars are stating to align. Shooting nosier 125 grr partition and H 4895. Shot for groups today and shot one group around 3/4 of inch. Ran out of bullet so I cannot verify if it will do it again till more bullets come in. Thanks again for all the help.

Any of the 3 listed 120-125 grain Bullets,.. "should" work !
"Truing up" the chamber may not be necessary, after all.
Good job on trying, different Bullets ! The 120 gr. Bal Tip's and 120 gr. Pro Hunter, Sierra's should "work" also ! Any good bullet, shooting less than, 1MOA will get it,.. DONE !

I have the rifle shooting 3/4 to a shade over a 1 1/4 inches on a 8 shot group. Next problem that has come up. Brass is sticking to the chamber walls. New brass fires and ejects fine. Once fired and resized brass wants to be little hard coming out of chamber. Shot 8 bullets today and 5 stuck and 3 didn't. Any Idea of what this issue might be?

8461FAF2-5569-4159-8E8C-CD1230767BCB.jpeg 912E2929-48AB-4532-9E68-473E0978AE48.jpeg Pictures of brass

Sometimes after fireing pressure can raise, the brass stretching to fill the chamber is a sort of "cushion" for the pressure, where as once it is stretched to fill the chamber there is no such cushion. But this usually comes with other pressure signs....

I have seen it happen specifically in belted factory remington rifles, the problem was a rough chamber, the solution was some jb bore bright on a snug fitting patch on the end of a dowel in a drill gun to polish it some, just the chamber. The brass had scratches on it though, going lengthwise with the brass. You don't want to go too much if you polish, as I have heard polishing a chamber too smooth can cause its own set of problems, the case can't adhere to the walls of the chamber during the firing process, and instead applies more pressure to the bolt face, showing early case head pressure signs, and in some cases can lead to bolt lug set back.

I know you have, but measure the fired cases (specifically the stuck ones) to ensure that they are round and not oval or show some other chamber deformity. You said the chamber was cut way too large, there is no limit to what else may be messed up with it.....

Just a few of my ideas where I would start.

Is there any way you can take it to the smith that put it together with all these problems and get them to make it right? Sounds like you have dumped enough money into it that you could have got a new barrel for your friend.

On a side note, if they refuse to make it right, I would make sure everyone you know is aware what kind of business they run. Someone that produces obviously poor quality like that, and refuses to make it right, shouldn't be in the business of making "custom" firearms. One day they are going to make something that is going to hurt or kill someone with practices like that.

1-10 6.5 Creed?? Did this "Gunsmith" happen to work at Remington? They are masters at incorrectly twisting barrels.

In all seriousness this can get frustrating trying bullet after bullet. Hopefully the partitions work out. I am curious to see if this ends up working out

No such luck on getting the guy to look at barrel. Not returning phone calls or text. I would not let him touch anything I have. I have offered to buy the barrel action and start over but he thinks I am taking advantage of him for what he lost in his trade. I am going to drop load 1/2 and 1 grain to she if that alleviates the sticking issue. Just afraid of group might open up.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.