Is 30 inch barrel in a 6.5 Creedmore a mistake?

TackDriv3r

After reading many articles and hearing many opinions that a 30 inch pipe in a 6.5 Creedmore is not a great idea according to optimal barrel time. Most used 24 to 26 inch barrels. If that is the case with H4350 not burning the powder all the way down to the muzzle before the bullet goes into flight, would a slower powder work? Has anyone used a H4831SC or a powder which is slower than H4350 and may have better optimal burn time??

I'm doing a 22" on my new builds that's what it was designed around. I found this write up interesting. Just a thought.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    66.4 KB · Views: 465
I would say why carry the extra weight. Some cartridges need longer barrels to keep building fps usually the ones really necked down. I build most with longer barrels but if it doesn't gain any I stay short.

I'm doing a 22" on my new builds that's what it was designed around. I found this write up interesting. Just a thought.
I read that article along with the one RifleShooter.com wrote up, and went with a 22" it's threaded for a brake and I have one on it about two inches long. Making the whole thing around 24". Ideal length in my opinion..

Well, first of all, let's not confuse the issue by including the muzzle brake into the barrel length calculation. I use H4851 almost exclusively for my long range work; the standard cut for those larger cases and the SC for those cased where I need a bit more powder but can't fit enough the standard cut in the case without compressing the load.
Actually, accoding the Hodgdon's burn rate chart, H4831 is slower burning than H4850.
IMO, you might get better results with Varget and 26 inch barrels

(Note: My first post found no fault with using H4831SC with the 26" barrel but I gave it some more thought (and checked the burn rate chart) which gave me cause to change and edit my earlier opinion.

Well, first of all, let's not confuse the issue by including the muzzle brake into the barrel length calculation. I use H4851 almost exclusively for my long range work; the standard cut for those larger cases and the SC for those cased where I need a bit more powder but can't fit enough the standard cut in the case without compressing the load.
ttachment of a muzzle brake as IMO, the 26" barrel with H4831SC should give you everything you're looking for in that rifle.
I included the muzzle brake for the sake of total length on a maneuverability standpoint. Which in my opinion should be a consideration, if someone is planning on adding a brake. It makes the barrel LONGER....

Mistake? If it's a range bench and prone only gun, no. If you plan to do more than that with it, yes.

Unfortunately Tackdriver, I don't think 30" barrel, and deer blind belong in the same sentence... I would go shorter...

I have a 6x6 deer blind, never bothered me with my custom Sako with a 26 inch Brux barrel and muzzle brake. I don't see why a 30 inch would be a problem,,,:D

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.