Is 30 inch barrel in a 6.5 Creedmore a mistake?

Coloyooper,

I understand the harmonic concern. The 338 RCM is a #5 lilja and it doesn't have any issues when working up loads. It shot all powder charges quite well as well as a second bullet, the 300 gr sierra MK.

I say try it and if it disappoints shorten it.

Yep never hurt to try. Cheaper to shorten than try and lace it in a barrel stretcher. Plus those machines are hard to find like a board stretcher.

Yep never hurt to try. Cheaper to shorten than try and lace it in a barrel stretcher. Plus those machines are hard to find like a board stretcher.

I would shorten it if all else fails to find the sweet spot I am looking for, but by the looks of it, I found two loads of .150 to .2 MOA. Not bad for a first day test.

Ya I love when the first test works out. My 300blk ar was like that first ladder right at max ended with 5 shots at .39". Not bad for a blem parts gun under $800 ready to hunt.

Not to poo poo your results but 2930ish with 130's is a common node in the smaller cased 6.5x47 lapua with 26" barrels. Maybe she'll pick up some speed with more rounds but otherwise I'm not seeing the value in the longer barrel.

But please, shoot a few hundred rounds through it before cutting down or I'm going to end up eating some crow on this one haha.

Ran out of H4350, so will the IMR4350 work in close relation as the H4350? I know its a sensitive powder as well, but I am in Texas and its hot as hell so it won't be much of a problem.

I went to try the RL 17 today, 39.5 to 43 grains and pushed the 130 Berger Hybrid to 3,050 fps with the 30 inch barrel. No pressure signs at all, and I DON'T see any diminishing returns at all or any decreased velocities, each grain that I added pushed the 130 Berger an extra 60-75 fps but loads starts opening up when going real fast over 41.5 grains. I stopped at 43 grains. That is **** fast. But I am chasing accuracy over speed. I see some promising loads from 39.5 to 41 grains with .5 moa clusters from 2800 to 2900 fps. But I wanted the H4350 and no one has them in stock. Does anyone know who has them?

BTW, I want to get the Quickload software, which version is currently used? Please send me the link. Thanks

4WUZedl.jpg
How has the 30" barrel worked out thus far? I am thinking about going long as well.

Man I love my 6.5 creed but can't help but wonder why not do a 6mm creed if you are gonna have that long barrel? That was part of the draw to the 6.5 didn't give up much with a short barrel compared to say a .243 win. That's how I decided on the 6.5. I really wanted a 6mm for what I was doing but a 22" barrel gave up a decent amount of fps. So many great bullet options in 6mm and with a 28"-30" tube you could get them signing.

Cartridges with the case capacity of the Creedmoor don't need a barrel longer that 22 to 24 inches. With that said, longer barrels will gain a little velocity although after 22 to 24 inches the gain becomes less per inch and at some point not worth the problems with longer barrels. Longer barrels have different harmonics and require different bedding and stock requirements.

Shorter barrels are inherently more accurate so at some point you gain velocity but give up Accuracy. Huge cartridges with large powder charges can use longer barrels, but small cartridges don't need them So performance and usability is best with shorter barrels.

308s were designed around 20'' barrels to optimize performance in accuracy and handling, the 6.5 Creedmoor falls into this class of cartridges and is best served with a 20 to 24'' barrels. The 26'' barrel would be the absolute Max in my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

With all respect JE it's just not the case capacity that factors into long vs short it's bite size also. Case in point the .243 win vs .308. Same case but the .308 with larger bore doesn't have the same advantages gaining speed as the .243.
Capacity plays a large role but the amount it is necked down means just as much. So the 6.5 being close to the .308 in capacity would have the same gains. 6.5 gains little over 22" but the 6mm will.
The larger the capacity and smaller the bore the more barrel you need so both matter equally as much.

30" and H4831 for a 6.5 Creedmore? Do it.

For a 6.5 Creedmoor, the secret sauce, from Dave Emary himself, is a 22" barrel and H4350

How has the 30" barrel worked out thus far? I am thinking about going long as well.
It has shot real well, max velocity on the ladder test was 3150 fps roughly with 130 Bergers. . 2 MOA at 300 yards was common with the full sizing die expander removed and using a expander mandrel die with .001" under bullet diameter.

Last edited:
30" and H4831 for a 6.5 Creedmore? Do it.

For a 6.5 Creedmoor, the secret sauce, from Dave Emary himself, is a 22" barrel and H4350
Worked very well with H4350 and Hybrid100V, have stuck to the H4350 so far, I even bought a GA Precision rig in 6.5 Creedmoor with 26 inch barrel, shoots bugholes and .234" inch 3 shot group at 300 yards with 140 Hybrids, possibly never shoot that group again, must have been luck. Averages half inch groups at that distance on a good day.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.