223?

RAPTOR30-06

Hey, I am New to this site. I want to build a Rifle that I can shoot Long range at Coyotes and Varmints. I am thinking about building a .223.
What would be the Effective Range in Yards, for this rifle?
I am going to use a Custom Barrel, What would the Best Type and Twist?

Thanks

If you want a long range .223, screw on a 1-8 twist tube (stainless for me), run a bullet like the 75 Amax, and threaten critters at the 1k line.

Carl

I would reccomend a Kreiger or Broughton 1-8 twist. Effective range depends cartridge, your experience, ability, and loading. The 75 g. A-max is great with a b.c of .435 If you ran this around 3400 fps, at 1000 yards you would only have 388 ft lbs. I would limit it to 600 - 700 where you'll have 663 ft lbs approx. But the wind is tough on those little bullets that far.

www.montourcountyrifles.com

I wish that I had the 1-8 twist and could shoot the heavier bullets, but even with a 14 twist and 55 gr bullets I would pop a coyote at 725 yards with mine. I am new to the 223 and got one just to save money with my plinking. I underestimated this round. At 725 yards, off a bipod myself and two friends (all long range novices) shot better than 5 inch groups. My new appraisal of the 223 is that it kicks butt.

Thanks guys. Does anyone Know where I can get a Stainless barrel in 1-8 Twist for a .223, For a Decent price?
I am on a budget, but I am tired of paying the price to use a 30-06 on Coyotes!
I am thinking of using a Single Shot, and customizing the stock and barrel.
What would Yall recomend, Single Shot or Bolt Action?

Thanks guys. Does anyone Know where I can get a Stainless barrel in 1-8 Twist for a .223, For a Decent price?
I am on a budget, but I am tired of paying the price to use a 30-06 on Coyotes!
I am thinking of using a Single Shot, and customizing the stock and barrel.
What would Yall recomend, Single Shot or Bolt Action?

OK any of the major mftrs will have the barrel. Lilja, Hart, Broughton, Shilen, Spencer, Rock, etc and the price for a blank will run around $300. Another $150-180 for chambering.

Now all of that is assuming that you have an acceptable action.

for just varmint hunting, buy off the shelf savage, or used Rem Varmint. Savage has the 1-9 twist which will normally work for up to 69 gr. The 1-7 is also available.

If you are set on custom barrel, then I would tell you to look at a straight no neck turn 6mm BR with 9 twist shooting the Berger 95 gr bullets out to 1000. Lot flatter and harder hitting and easy on recoil and reloading.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts