223 vs 260 dilemma

trickytune

I currently have a 1:12 twist Browning a bolt but wish to use heavier projectiles for longer range. But the price of 77g Nosler custom competition are almost the same as 6.5mm 140g. So other than about 20grains of powder more the 260 is not going to be much dearer to run. Trying to decide if I should buy a 1:8" Tikka 223 and run 77g or just keep the browning and use 55g and use the 260 for everything else. I just really like heavy long projectiles.

You are worried about how much components are going to cost yet you are considering buying a new rifle? I suppose you could rebarrel your existing rifle with a faster twist barrel for those LR projectiles but that will cost money too. Don't forget more is better......

Not worried about spending the money. Just thinking if its only going to cost a little more to run maybe I should just use the 260 and have way more power over the small gain I would make going from 55g to 77g. Does that make sense?

Makes sense I was teasing you....the high bc 224 cal bullets are great for longer shots. No recoil and the wind drift is far less. I made a 22-250 with a faster twist years ago. At the time a 70 gr Berger vld was a new thing. I was amazed at how I could keep the crosshairs on a jackrabbit way out there when before I had to hold off to get a hit in crosswinds.

If you intend to hunt big game work up a high bc bullet for the 260. IMO it will do a better job than a 223 with a 77 gr bullet.

I will temper this comment by saying that I live in CA and (for better or worse) we can only use lead free bullets for hunting here.

Using this as my starting point, then the availability of improved BC bullets for your .260 is MUCH better compared to the .223, in fact nearly double the BC for common twists.

As an example, looking through the GS Custom web site for options, firing a .223 at high MV is nearly useless beyond 100 yards compared to just light loading the .260 for 200 - 400 fps slower and using higher BC bullets.

A friend of mine has a .223 and the negligible recoil and light weight ammo is attractive (and the rifles are cool) but I can't logically justify buying one compared to just using low recoil rounds in my .270 win and concentrating my money into making that rifle and my shooting skills better.

Not that a person needs a logical reason to own a second rifle, but I nearly bought another rifle this year simply to have a better chance of obtaining ammo to take my son to the range.

I like my .223 T3 Scout so much, I'm looking for one in 260. Hornady Superperformance 75 grains is great off the shelf, and not finicky to reload,

It seems logical to use 223 short range and 260 for everything else but I really want to go the heavier bullets. Guess we shall see how the 223 groups with reloads once my dies arrive. If its not amazing its down the road and I will get a Tikka. And then use 75-77g bullets.

I currently have a 1:12 twist Browning a bolt but wish to use heavier projectiles for longer range. But the price of 77g Nosler custom competition are almost the same as 6.5mm 140g. So other than about 20grains of powder more the 260 is not going to be much dearer to run. Trying to decide if I should buy a 1:8" Tikka 223 and run 77g or just keep the browning and use 55g and use the 260 for everything else. I just really like heavy long projectiles.

Just my opinion, but I would keep what you have and load both rifles for there intended use.

A 1 in 12 wont shoot the 77grbullets but will do well with the 35 to 50 grain pills.

The 260 will do great with everything up to 120 grain and depending on the rifle and twist might
shoot the 140 grain bullets.

The most accurate bullets and performance that I have found in the 6.5s has been in the 120 grain range.

So load light bullets in the 223 for play and shorter ranges, and load light or heavy bullets in the 260
for everything else.

In other words, spend the money on components that will do the job instead of a different rifle.

Just an opinion

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.