223 Twist Recomendation

tom_minnesota

I'm trying to narrow down on a long range 223 rifle. I kind of have it narrowed down to the Remington BenchMaster, Winchester Coyote, and Savage 12 Varminter.

One glaring difference is the barrel twist. The Remington has 1:12, the Winchester 1:10, and the Savage 1:9.

Any thoughts on that or advice???? I appreciate the help.

For long range I'd get the Savage ,the heavier 69gr bullets will get you out further.

What are you calling long range? the 223 with the heavier bullets tend to loose their splat factor pretty close in as they arn't started realy fast and thats what help open them up

I might actually go with a 22-250 (they offer the similar twists) - just curious what the differences will do to accuracy (ie. is one better than the other).

I belong to a range that has 100,200,400, and 600 yard targets. So that's mainly what this gun will be used for - basically a 400-600 yard plinking gun. More for working on form and having fun shooting (vs. taking the abuse of my elk gun).

Interesting, I was thinking about that last night. Berger recommends a twist of 1:7 for the Berger Match VLD 90 gr. with a high BC = 0.517. I don't know if the Savage with the 1:9 twist would stabilize it or not, but if it does and we could get 2800 ft/sec MV, we would have a long range shooter. Look at these tables.

At an Elevation of 5000 ft, it would still be supersonic at 1350 yards. Plenty of energy for a yote at that distance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4dogqw4.jpg

nock! nock! Will the Savage 1:9 stabilize the Berger Match VLD 90 gr. bullet? Hi there!

I seriously doubt that it will. I have seen them stabilize the 75 gr A-max and then again I have seen them NOT stabilize the 75gr A-max.

I'm thinking that I heard some place that the 1-7 was the best choice for the 90 pills maybe even a 1-6 those are some long sleek bullets

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.