Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by ghoghunter, Feb 14, 2004.

1. ghoghunter

ghoghunter Member

Am i the only one that shoots this little sucker any more? [​IMG]

2. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Nope... Lot's of folks shoot the little 223, we just don't mention it in public (ain't polite [​IMG]) Last time I had mine out at the range folks just pointed and laughed [​IMG]

I use mine for all kinds of critters as long as they ain't much more than 600 yards away.

3. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

Heck, I shoot loads of varmints with my favorite little .221FB. Took many groundhogs out to 300yds with 40gr B-Tips. That's "longrange" to me, but I'm reluctant to mention it on this board. [​IMG]

VH

4. LDO

LDO Well-Known Member

before i traded my .223 off to a friend it had accounted for more kills than all my other rifles combiined [and still does]-i still get to shoot it too,sometimes a couple days a week.it ended up being a good trade-lol.for barrel life,accuracy,economics,availibility of quality components etc...,its hard to beat a good .223 as dedicated varmint rig-my-2-dave

5. Lee in OH

Lee in OH Well-Known Member

I sure do. Got a Savage with a Shilen 1:14" twist sporter barrel in a Duramaxx stock. Really nice walking varmint rig. Nice on PD's too.

[​IMG]

6. MachV

MachV Well-Known Member

Like others have said we talk about the others a lot more but this unit in 223 has over 6000 rounds through it(mostly at prairie dogs).It in the proces of becomeing a 223AI so I can find the lands again and will no doubt stay my go to gun for many years to come.
    [​IMG]

7. old fart

old fart Well-Known Member

Most people had a life before the 300/338 RUM'S - because a point I've learned here is that long range shooting is just pushing yourself and your equipment way past your predetermined limits, instead of excepting what is considered the norm . thank you all for that

8. littletoes

littletoes Well-Known Member

Me too! I got me one too! Shoot clay pideons out to 350/400 yards with mine. Its more affordable than the big guns, and doesn't beat me up. If I wanted a hotter cartrige, I'd of bought one, but that wasn't why I have the 223. It can be a challenge to shoot too. Course, I ain't in the same league as Dave King and some of the others! [​IMG] Hey Dave, if you remember, you were the one that I met first, and directed me too this site. That was a long time ago, at least it seems! [​IMG]

9. ghoghunter

ghoghunter Member

wll it sure is nice to know that there are still some people like lee and my self in ohio that sill admire a little classic like the 223rem.lee i also shoot asavage .outshoot alot of remingtonsand sakos down in my neck of the woodsthanks for all the replys. any good reload you fellas would share?im pushing a 40gr molly coated ballistic tp 749ds 1dead coon end of last fall [​IMG] null

10. coyote_runner

coyote_runner Member

my dad and i shoot our 223 a lot. we shoot a nosler ballistic tip and 50 grains of varget.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

50 grains of varget in a .223 eh?

12. jb1000br

jb1000br Well-Known Member

Man--thats a compressed load [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

or a typo i suppose.

13. JR

JR Well-Known Member

'tis like ordering a pint of guinness served in a half pint glass..

14. qkshot

qkshot Active Member

I have a ar-15 i shoot in 223 its very fun
    and i can hold just about a 1inch group @ 100 yds with a stock trigger group