223 Ammo

Yogi

Where is a good source for 223 ammo? I want to get one round that I can use for target and varmint hunting, so I'm thinking hollow point in 60 or 62/63 grain. Black Hills ammo, maybe?? Also I'm looking for hollow points for my 243. Also, would like to hear comments and recommendations from any and all 223 shooters here who are proponents of the round and their rifle(s) they shoot the 223 with.

You don't mention what type of rifle you're shooting; that will make a difference. I'm shooting a single-shot H&R with a slowish (1:12") twist, which limits me to lighter bullets -- 55gr or so and under. That being said, a lot of people do have good luck with the Black Hills ammo; mine loves the Winchester white box 45gr HP's, and Ultramax 40 & 50gr rounds.

The guys around here have way more experience at long range than I do, but I would say try some different types of ammo and see what your rifle likes. I enjoy reloading; for a .223 you won't save any money because the ammo is cheap, but you'll have fun working up loads.

As for my rifle, it's got a 24" bull barrel and a Bushnell 3-9X40 scope -- it'll never be a bench-rest competition rig; it's more of a poor-boy's getting started rifle. But I have a lot of fun stuffing bullets into .6" at 100 and 1.5" at 200 on most days. Desert jackrabbits & coyotes don't have a chance, and a javelina in February is going to really hate it...

Yeah, I've got a slow twist as well--- 1 in 12 inch with the Remington 700 BDL. I was told that it would stabilize a 60 grain bullet very well, however, by the Remington Tech support people. I was getting really good (for me) accuracy at 200 yards with 60 grain bullets from the sitting position, no benchrest. I prefer shooting trying to duplicate field conditions, since that is what I am practicing for; (no game in front of a benchrest at the range). I just got 200 rounds of 55 grainers ballistic tips in from mail order that I am anxious to try out.

Thanks for the reply. I like the HR single shots. Reminds me of the long range shooting they used to do in the 1800's! I look forward to hearing more from pro 223 shooters.

The HR with the bull barrels remind me of the PICTURES and MOVIES I've seen of the long range shooting rifles they used in the 1800's... I am not saying I had direct experience with what they shot in the 1800's. I'm not THAT old....geeeesh.

I do really like the old or old looking single shots however. I have a rolling block in 22 cal Savage Arms that is fun to shoot.

I would like to buy a single shot with a long octoganol barrel, and practice long range iron site shooting. Has anyone else done that? And at what distances? And if for game what game? I think I would like to find a 223 single shot like the one you described.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.