best 223 ammo

65Jeffrey

I understand its an impossible question but......
starting the adventure of finding a "best" factory 223 ammunition.
Coyotes and turkeys max range 300....MAYBE 500 so 1 hole shooting. Have a CZ bolt and an Bullberry Contender that are upto the task with handloads but wanting to find a factory loading .
...WHERE to start?
thinking a tough 62-64gr bullet Nosler? winchester PP? Speer Gold Dot?
I know I will have to test them myself but whats group experience that will hopefully save me some time.

Last edited:
Coyotes and turkeys max range 300....MAYBE 500 so 1 hole shooting. Have a CZ bolt and an MGM Contender that are upto the task with handloads but wanting to find a factory loading .
...WHERE to start?
I know I will have to test them myself but whats group experience that will hopefully save me some time.
One man's opinion. 69gr Sierra HPBT. Federal or Sierra packaged - same cartridge (loaded by Federal probably).
Work well in a TIKKA T3X

I tend to gravitate to heavier projectiles and do most of my loading, but the Hornady Match factory load with 73 grain ELD-Ms shot very well for me. My rifle is a 7 twist 20" barrel.

1700740774481.jpeg

yeah kinda anticipating a heavier bullet....even wondering about a subsonic ....just the slow and steady idea

Mine like the fiocchi and the federal tap with the 55g but both of these are polymer tip expanding. They would not be fur friendly. My supply is drying up so reloading is in my future for my 223

Thanks

Buck

Coyotes and turkeys max range 300....MAYBE 500 so 1 hole shooting. Have a CZ bolt and an Bullberry Contender that are upto the task with handloads but wanting to find a factory loading .
...WHERE to start?

You should mention the twist rate of your rifles.

Your rifle and only your rifle will tell you what is best. So, buy as much variation as you can and start the conversation. 300yds max, small game, you can use any bullet weight.

Your rifle and only your rifle will tell you what is best. So, buy as much variation as you can and start the conversation. 300yds max, small game, you can use any bullet weight.
When you`ve seen one gun/barrel shoot a given load........you`ve seen exactly that.

When you`ve seen one gun/barrel shoot a given load........you`ve seen exactly that.
I'm old and slow, what does this mean in regards to my post? The gun will tell you what it shoots best, and for shooting turkeys and coyotes at a maximum of 300yds any bullet will work out of a 223