Best

The 6.5x284 is the best round by far! The 260 rem. is a great round but this is a long action. The 25-06 is a turd at long range. The AI case means you will have to fire form cases. Nothing will help the 25 cal. Low BC bullet problem. The 280AI is a great round , as you know.Use at ballistic program to compare the 25-06AI and the 6.5x284 out to 1000yards and you wil understand why I say forget the 25-06AI and go with the 6.5x284!

You are correct on most counts.

However, it's worth noting that....

25-06 will push an 80gr TTSX about 3800 fps which is great for varmint control out to 400-500 yds.

260 Rem will almost keep pace with 6.5x284 at 1k. But, at 600-800 yds it may have an edge for spotting and follow up shots. ...especially if you drop down to 130 gr bullets when wind or distance isn't too bad.

-- richard

Ive never had any dealings with a 260 but I would hate to use a long action to build a short action round and waste the action. Im really starting to look at the 6.5-284. I watched one of the Davidsons the other night on tv shooting steel with a 6.5-284 at a mile and was very impressed. This isnt something I plan on doing but still impressive. I also have found that a barrel to shoot heavier 25cal bullets is very hard to come by, if I built a 25-06 I was going to shoot 115 VLDs.

Looks like a 6.5-284 with a 140 Gr VLD is an all around cartridge for my uses.

I agree the 260 rem. is a great round but we are talking about a long action. If it was a short action he was working with I would be all about a 260 AI. The question was 25-06AI or a 6.5x284? The 6.5x284 wins that performance race hands down.

Bamadawg , if you want a long range deer rifle the 25-06AI just will not get the job done. Down range the little low bc pills just will not have the energy to kill deer consistently. Make yourself a great long range deer rifle and then get a short action and build a light compact 260 rem deer rifle for your baby girl. A light 22" sporter barrel and maybe with a pink laminate stock ? I'm in florida also, up in jax. Where are you at?

Bamadawg , if you want a long range deer rifle the 25-06AI just will not get the job done. Down range the little low bc pills just will not have the energy to kill deer consistently. Make yourself a great long range deer rifle and then get a short action and build a light compact 260 rem deer rifle for your baby girl. A light 22" sporter barrel and maybe with a pink laminate stock ? I'm in florida also, up in jax. Where are you at?

Dave you already thinking like I am, Ive already looked at a boyds applejack laminate for whatever I build her later. Im leaning towards the 6.5 now. Im in Tallahasee.

Tallahassee is where I'm from. My mom and stepsister are there. I used to hunt just over the line north of Havana. Are you from there?

Some great deer hunting and a january rut! I went to Leon, class of '86.

Yep the deer in our part of quincy usually start to rut around the week before christmas or week after depending on the weather. The last 2 years we really havent had a good rut because its been so warm. I killed 2 deer before the rut even started a 10pt during muzzleloader and an 8pt the weekend after the 2nd season started. You got a couple years on me I graduated NFC 99.

Have you guys actually ran some ballistics on the two cartridges in question? I'm not getting very much of a difference between the two mainly due the velocity the 25-06 will launch a 115+gr bullet in. I don't think a deer would know the difference!

I have not run the numbers as my laptop is dead. You are hinting I may need a slice of humble pie? I will try to lean to run it on my phone on the morning but just reading and posting is hard enough from my phone. I don't have the retained energy numbers at 1000yrds. Still , better brass without forming and better bc's in the 6.5x284. I didn't think a 25-06AI would do 3800fps with a 115 vld , was thinking low 3400 fps range. Anybody out there load the 115vld in a 25-06AI?

I was woke at midnight and sent that last response :( . I don't have my laptop running but I think the 25-06AI will do about 3200fps with the 115 vld. If someone wants to run the numbers and put them up it would be great but I'm out the door to work.

For a bonified 1000yd rifle, there's no contest. 6.5x284 will beat 25-06ai.

Then again, your 280ai should be a respectable 1000yd rifle if it's setup right.

For a 500 yd deer/varmint rifle that would be handed down to a young lady who may not always be an avid handloader, then it's worth reconsidering.

-- richard

From what I've seen a 25-06AI should push a 115gr bullet somewhere around 3300fps maybe a little more and most of the 6.5-284's I know of with normal length barrels will run the 140's around 3000fps.

Setting JBM at 29.92 Baro 0 elevation and 70 F temp at a 1000 yards the 115 Berger gets to 1000 yards 1552fps with 615 ft lbs of energy and the 140 Berger gets there with 1681fps and 878 ft lbs of energy, the 115 is flatter but gives up a bit of windage to the 140. I wouldn't shoot a deer at a 1000 yards with either at that elevation, to me it looks like the 6.5 gains you maybe 30-50 yards unless you push it substantially more but from what I've seen that about where they run. A deer or varmint won't see a difference, after looking at those numbers I'm very glad I hunt at 6000-9000ft elevation!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.