best savage .223 barrel maker

gremcat

So I am buying a new stock for my rifle and would like to buy a 30 inch barrel heavy sort of like the savage ftr rifle Any suggestions on the best maker I was on savage shooters and there are so many opinionsI am looking for minimum fouling and minimal breakin

I would recomend a Lilja.

I use a lot of his barrels and find them to be one of the
best and delivery is allways on time (normaly 8 to 10 weeks)

And they seem to break in fast (15 to 25 ) rounds

I use only premium barrels and this is certainly one of the best!!!!

J E CUSTOM

Are you looking to buy a prefit or are you gonna have it installed like the remington barrels are?

as for the Prefit , Pac-Nor makes some good ones , Sharp Shooters Supply does too they use Dougles barrels , Shilen also makes some prefit barrels as does Lothar Walther.

If it were me getting a prefit I'd go with the Lothar Walther as I think they have the best barrels of this lot.

If your gonna have it setup like a Remington , then that realy opens up your options. Hart , Kreiger , Lilja , Broughton , Bartlein , Rock Creek , Obermeyer , Schnider ,

Ask your smith what barrels he been having the best luck with lately in the 22 caliber.

i have narrowed it down to 2 makers shilen from AccuracyArms and douglas from sss I am going with the 1-8 twist and am thinking of having it chambered with a federal gold medal 69 gr match bullet then just using it for build specs.Is there a big difference in 26" as opposed to 30
" I like the ftr style barrel with the 30" and extra heavy contour I think it is 1" at the muzzle but that sucker has got to be heavy.:D

in the little 223 I highly doubt that their will be any realistic differance in speed with the 26 to 30 inch barrels.
A 30" heavy conture like thay use is gonna be ALOT heavier than the 26" varmint conture.

you could probably go with a 26" full bull and still weigh less yet have a much stiffer barrel.

If you going with the 1-8 twist I'd have the barrel throated for the 77gr Sierra Match Kings or 80gr A-max's that way you can get the bullet way out of the case to free up some room for powder.

haven't started reloading yet so I want to get it set for maybe the 77 gr mk that way I can just mimick oal when I do start .Wish I knew someone who did it near raleigh so Icould see how it's done:(

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.