remington vrs savage .223

foreign

hey all. im looking into getting a .223 for some cheaper long range bunnie shooting and was wondering what anyone thought i should get. im looking at either a remington 700 sps or ltr or a savage 200. the savage is a little cheaper here in nz and i was thinking that i could then always get a different barrel for it and then have two rifles pretty much. what different calibers could i change the .223 into with a different barrel and potentially a different bolt head. my bro has a savage 110 .223 and it shoots beautifully. but i have a remi 700 .308 and love it as well. do either of the models im looking at have 1 in 8 twist barrels since ive only seen them with 1 in 9 twists. cheers

A couple of the Savage varmint guns can be had with 7 twist 223 barrels but not the Stevens 200.

Savage just shoots well i have never had a savage that didn't shoot great right out of the box. the only down side is savages older black plastic stocks where crap but i just saw a new one and it was a lot better. i would go with the savage any day

I would get a savage if it has the accutrigger, otherwise I'd go w/ the remington. you will shoot a long time before having to change the barrel in 223, so being able to change barrels yourself is a mute point IMHO.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.